• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sputtering under load

Kenneth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
My son's Bronco ll with a 2.9 sputters under load hot or cold . It feels like it is not getting enough gas checked fuel pressure has 30 to 40 psi when running. We have replaced the catalytic converter, o2 sensor, the module on the distributor. Also checked all vacuum lines for leaks, still sputters .

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

I would suspect partially blocked exhaust, but I assume you checked muffler when Cat was replaced

Fuel pressure seems OK, but check again and raise RPMs to 2,500 and hold there for 30-60seconds and see if pressure is slowly dropping, which would be weak fuel pump(s) or dirty fuel filter

Put a can of Seafoam in gas tank to clean injectors, or pull them and clean them

Was this a sudden issue?
Or was it slowly coming up over time?

Kenneth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Came on over time and has been getting worse. My son has been using injector cleaners along with Marvel mystery oil. I will recheck the fuel pressure. Right now there is no muffler

Kenneth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pressure staying right at 30 to 35 psi. But drops off to 10 psi after 10 minutes after shutting off

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
So does the psi drop when under load then? If not, I would look at the electrical side. Spark plug, wire, coil may seem fine at idle but can also break down under load and over time.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd check spark plugs and wires before messing with anything else. It's usually the stupid little things that everybody thinks aren't the problem that turn out to be.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals