• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sputter issue 2.9l 88 ranger 4x4 5speed

Zmiller0218

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Recently purchased it, I’ve replaced just about everything I can think of. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor button, map sensor, fpr, ignition coil, is it ion module, fuel filter, cleaned fuel injectors, took cats off and ran it still does it. It’ll run and idle fine for the must part sometimes it does surge at idle, my main issue though is when going down the road in lower rpm’s it’ll spit and sputter like a misfire just about in every gear and puff out clouds of smoke, I can floor it and it clears up and also sometimes coming to a stop it’ll die. My only guess is either the fuel pump in tank or the high pressure fuel pump on the rail. Anyone else have a opinion or had a similar issue? Just tired of throwing parts at it and it still not running right.

PublicPlatypus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No codes? I had a similar issue and it turned out to be MAP sensor was faulty.. That'll teach me to buy cheapo Amazon...

Zmiller0218

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
No check engine light. Haven’t checked for codes. Already replaced the map sensor and pretty much everything I can think of to replace beside the in tank fuel pump, and fuel injectors

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
What color is the smoke? White is no good. That’s coolant. Black would be fuel. Blue oil.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
It’s black smoke
My first guess would be injectors are open. Black smoke indicated too much fuel. Although plugs not firing or not hot enough could also load up the cylinders but not as noticeable as a dumping injector. Get a fuel pressure gauge and see how long your pressure stays up when you turn off the engine. It should maintain pressure. A leaky injector or regulator will show a noticeable drop in pressure. Note that replacing bad parts doesn’t guarantee a fix. Check your FPR for fuel in the vacuum line. Half these Chinese made trash parts we get fail out of the box. (🤔 can’t help but wonder if that’s too politically charged for this site).

Zmiller0218

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’ve done it it already. I have 35-40 psi and it does hold after the engine is off. Also replaced the fpr. Also took the injectors out and cleaned them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals