• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spray painting trim

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I found gray vinyl fender flares at the U Pull yard. I would like to put them on my Ranger. If I do I would have to spray paint them first with a rattle can. I know that Rustoleum, Krylon, and Duplicolor all make paints expressly for this purpose, but I am cautious about the results. Have you tried doing this before? And if so, how long can I expect a rattle can paint job to last? Also, it might be nice to my bumper black too.

Also: soon I will pull off the bed and paint the frame with POR 15. As long as I am at it, i wonder if I should rattle can the muffler, catalytic converters, and the pipes. I've seen high temperature exhaust paints in the auto parts stores but wonder if they really work. I did this some years ago, but the paint did not hold up well at all. It didn't even last one winter. Have any of you had better luck?

car show.jpg
old gray.jpg

These are the flares I would like to pull and paint.
differential (2).jpg

Is there a durable paint for this rubber bumper? This is an older photo. I have new dual exhausts which I wish to paint

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm not sure how well the rear flares would fit.

You should also be aware of the holes you would have to drill in your trucks fenders and box. Then once you have then on.... the rust tends to a bit crazy under the flare.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure how well the rear flares would fit.

You should also be aware of the holes you would have to drill in your trucks fenders and box. Then once you have then on.... the rust tends to a bit crazy under the flare.
thanks, Uncle Gumpa,

I'm not sure about the fit either. I can always return them or just hold them up against another old flareside in the junkyard. . i rather don't like the idea of drilling holes so I will try 2 sided 3M automotive along the outside and maybe a drilling a few small holes then use nuts and bolts with locktite on the inner edges.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would not paint any converter. I have had mixed result using paint for plastics, if I was going to give it a shot I would use something from Eastwood with good reviews. I would paint an exhaust flat black and that is it. Just google

"how to paint aluminized steel"

which is what most exhaust pipe is unless you buy the cheap stuff from JCW.

What you could try is to stain the fender flares black, then use black paint polish (basically black wax) on them to make them shiny. The paint for a front bumper (usually fiberglass) is different then the stuff for fender flares. Though it has been 20 years since I painted a real car, so, I imagine things have changed. Now, I basically use rattle can Rustoleum (or brush or spray with thinner) and bed liner for everything exterior.

I can many times tell if a vehicle has been painted because of the crazing on the composite or fiberglass parts. That and silver cars never seem to exactly match the OEM paint.

As others have noted, I would avoid drilling the actual fender. if I was going to attach them with drilling it would be with stainless steel marine rivets and I would put sealant between the steel and rivet (washer). But, I drive rusty wrecks, so, it would be 1/4" grade 8 alloy bolts for me :-D

If you properly prep both surfaces and use real 3M tape, I do not think you could remove the fender flares even if you wanted to. Which is a point to consider.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I ordered some epoxy primer for vinyl plastic from Eastwood. It's a true 2 part catalyzed epoxy in a spray can. I'm quite sure this is going to work

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals