• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
I've read all the info in the tech section about why the speedometer doesn't work when swapping in an Explorer V8. But I'm still confused about something. If I'm swapping the engine, the transmission, the rear-end and the PCM, why won't the communication work? I'd be getting the signal from the same location (the rear axle) and following the exact same route as in the Explorer to the end users. I know there will be some wiring to do this but I don't see anything that shows it ever have being done. If it works in the Explorer there must be a way to make it work in the Ranger. What am I missing?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Explorers all used 4 wheel ABS
The speed signal for the speedometer(All Fords use 8,000PPM) came from the 4WABS module in 1996-2001 Explorers

In Ranger's the speedometer signal came from the GEM module, 1998-2000

BOTH Explorer and Ranger used the rear axle ABS VSS sensor as the source, but different wiring pathways and converters in those years
Rear axle VSS sends about a 25,000PPM signal, so can't be used directly for speedometer

Not sure if the Ranger 4WABS module was ever used for the conversion in these years???
That's the missing piece in your conversion, Explorer 4WABS module

2001-2011 Rangers used an OSS sensor on trans or transfer case to the PCM(computer), PCM converted OSS signal to Speedo signal, and sent it out to cluster and cruise
You lose this signal when you swap in the Explorer V8 computer

1995-1997 Rangers still had the gear driven speedo setup on trans or transfer case, no cable just the VSS was hooked up, and it was set for 8,000PPM(pulse per mile) by adjusting tooth count of the driven gear
So if you put in an older transfer case(1997 and older) with the speedo gear setup you can use that directly to the speedometer

Depends on the year of the Ranger as to how you would wire in the speedometer signal
If its a 2001 or up Ranger easiest thing would be to use a Dakota Digital SGI-5E interface hooked to rear axle VSS, also good for changing tires sizes as re-calibration is easier

I think all the Ranger 2WD automatics have the speedometer worm gear machined into their tail shafts, 1985 to 2011(A4LD to 5R55E)
So if you get an older tail shaft housing with the hole for the speedometer gear setup you could use that for speedometer signal, i.e. driven gear with VSS

Last edited:

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Easy answer: Most V8 Explorers use the ABS system for speed signal and the later Rangers use the PCM and transmission sensors.

So, pull the Ranger's PCM and V6 hardware and the speed signal goes with them.

Pull the PCM and V8 hardware from an Expo and the speed signal stays with the ABS in the Expo.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Couple Options:
Graft in a Dakota Digital ABS/Speed signal converter.
Graft in later 4 cyl Ranger GEM module
Graft in Expo ABS and g-force modules
Graft on an earlier 4R70W output shaft and tailcone with a gear driven VSS -- some later transmissions and transfer cases have blanked off VSS hole w/correct output shaft.

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
OK, so the ABS units are different. That's what I'm missing. I thought they were the same. I already have the Dakota Digital converter I plan on using. I was just lost on why it wouldn't work but now I understand. I would have to swap the ABS units and make my Ranger 4 wheel ABS like the Explorer. I'm sure it could be done though.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anything CAN be done
Its "should" it be done, lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals