• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer Reads low over 60 mph only

Still Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1998 Ranger 4-cylinder automatic. No check engine lights. Running great.

Instrument cluster was replaced when we got vehicle last year because speedo did not work at all. Since then, had transmission rebuilt, and had intermittent problems traced to bad GEM. Those problems included speedo not working.

Replaced GEM with used unit. No more problems.

Except - my son noticed that his speedometer does not go over 65mph. We recently compared with me driving in front of him in different vehicle and comparing speeds on phone.

At 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 mph speedo is exactly correct. When his speedo shows 60, he is actually going 65. When it shows 65, he is actually going 70. His speedo won't show over 65, even when he is doing 80.

I realize GEM is for different vehicle, maybe one with standard trans, or different size wheels, but still it is accurate under 60, so I don't think that would make a difference.

Also, he said speedo did not go over 65 BEFORE we changed GEM.

Think it may be the actual speedometer is bad? Unit shows only 78,000 miles.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be something in the gauge is preventing needle from progressing farther without more than normal force.

I wouldn't think this would be a VSS or GEM issue

You can test and calibrate electric speedometer with an AA Battery
Test seen here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/general-technical-electrical-18/calibrating-speedometer-needles-134925/
Calibration is at 72MPH so you should see the problem if it tops out at 65mph

There is also a video on doing this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVz6ilGiTBY

I think electric speedometer works the same as cable driven, electric motor speed increases with VSS voltage increase, turning the magnet faster, which turns the "cup" attached to the needle more, a hair spring keeps the cup from jumping around, holds it against faster spinning magnet
Diagram here: https://www.explainthatstuff.com/how-speedometer-works.html

It is possible, but a long shot, that VSS sensor is maxing out, VSS is a Variable Reluctance sensor, it generates its own power, AC Volts.
In the rear axle is a tone wheel, with teeth like a gear, each time a tooth passes by the VSS it generates an AC voltage pulse.
The Frequency of these pulses are what set the speed but it is a Voltage that also goes up with speed.
It might be possible for the VSS not to go above a certain frequency/voltage, although I have never heard of that happening

Last edited:

Still Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for input. I just ordered a used instrument cluster from ebay for $70. As long as I will have the unit out to test, I might as well try a swap. If it turns out to be something else, I'll sell one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals