• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer problems?

-Willow-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey everyone I just got a 84 bronco ii XLT not too long ago, and the speedometer doesn’t work and I was wondering if it is a common problem and how to fix it.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
First trace the cable at both ends and make sure it’s connected. A cable coming thru the floor by the gas pedal is the speedometer cable. A hand fumbling around under the dash a can easily disconnect it from the back of Speedo. People also would disconnect them to make the mileage lower. ( sneaky bastards) The other end should plug into the rear of the transfer case. Let us know what you find. I’ve had 5 BIIs and none had a broken speedo. f

-Willow-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I looked and everything was plugged in right,and nothing was loose but I took it out on a drive today, and when I got on the highway through my town I got up to probably about 45-50mph, and the speedometer started jumping between 15 and 30 I think it might be the VSS sensor on the transmission by the driveline.

-Willow-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
First trace the cable at both ends and make sure it’s connected. A cable coming thru the floor by the gas pedal is the speedometer cable. A hand fumbling around under the dash a can easily disconnect it from the back of Speedo. People also would disconnect them to make the mileage lower. ( sneaky bastards) The other end should plug into the rear of the transfer case. Let us know what you find. I’ve had 5 BIIs and none had a broken speedo. f
Also my blinkers work but the green lights in the cluster don’t come on when I turn on my blinkers

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bronco II's all use speedometer cables, if there is a VSS then it was used for cruise or computer, not speedometer

You will need to pull the Speedometer Driven gear out of transfer case and have a look at it
One bolt and you can pull out the speedo cable and with its Driven Gear

Looks like this: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/speed/speedocable_withgear.JPG

If it also has a VSS then it will look like this: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/speed/vss_withgear.JPG

The speedometer cable runs the speedometer either way

You can take an electric drill and spin the speedometer cable while its off, that will tell you if cable may be the issue, or speedometer itself
Use reverse-able drill, can't remember which way it spins, but won't hurt it to spin it backwards, thats what you do every time you back up, but no speed will show

Could just be burned out bulbs in the dash
Check speedometer first
Then if you have to pull the cluster you can check the bulbs

-Willow-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Bronco II's all use speedometer cables, if there is a VSS then it was used for cruise or computer, not speedometer

You will need to pull the Speedometer Driven gear out of transfer case and have a look at it
One bolt and you can pull out the speedo cable and with its Driven Gear

Looks like this: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/speed/speedocable_withgear.JPG

If it also has a VSS then it will look like this: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/speed/vss_withgear.JPG

The speedometer cable runs the speedometer either way

You can take an electric drill and spin the speedometer cable while its off, that will tell you if cable may be the issue, or speedometer itself
Use reverse-able drill, can't remember which way it spins, but won't hurt it to spin it backwards, thats what you do every time you back up, but no speed will show

Could just be burned out bulbs in the dash
Check speedometer first
Then if you have to pull the cluster you can check the bulbs
Okay thank you very much, this was very informative and also mine has a VSS but I don’t use cruise control so I’m not gonna worry about that then.
Also will transmission fluid come out of the hole where the speedometer gear is when I take it out?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, no fluid would come out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals