• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer needle wiggles

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Need some help, anyone....I just installed a new speedometer cable and now the needle wiggles between 0 and 20mph....I didn't have a problem before the cable went bad, it just stoped. what can I do to fix this problem?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the cable needs lubed. pull off one end and spray some litheum grease down there.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Mine did that for awhile after replacing the cable (it was well-lubed). I think it was the cable taking "memory" of being coiled up in the package. It slowly went away with time (at least I haven't been noticing it anymore, unless I just got used to it).

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It may very well have needed more lube, but now the cable is toast literally, one problem is that I didn’t position the new cable away from the header and y-pipe, so now it’s burned through.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
dang, sorry to hear that...i hate learning lessons the hard way :icon_thumby:

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the cable needs lubed. pull off one end and spray some litheum grease down there.
Well, since I need to get a new cable now, any suggestions on where to go, I went to Advance before just because they had it in stock, but I want one that's going to last and hopefully not cause this wiggle again.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
personally, the speedo cable isnt a real high wear item...i would have no problems with running a junkyard cable myself. just lube the crap out of it before you install it and make sure it turns freely and it probably wont give you any more trouble for a long, long time.

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
personally, the speedo cable isnt a real high wear item...i would have no problems with running a junkyard cable myself. just lube the crap out of it before you install it and make sure it turns freely and it probably wont give you any more trouble for a long, long time.
you know I was actually thinking that samething, using a junkyard cable, you really think it would be worth a try?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
to me, my vehicles are all about reliability. i dont use junkyard items like starters, tie rod ends, ect because they already have a portion of their limited life used up. id rather replace those kind of parts with new because then my truck/car is that much more reliable.

i dont even like buying junkyard motors if i can avoid it.

but i would run a junkyard speedo cable. its not a high failure item, meaning chances of finding a good one are high...and chances of it failing after you install it are low. its easy enough to test in the junkyard...just pull the transmission end off and give it a spin..you should be able to see the speedometer twitch.

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
to me, my vehicles are all about reliability. i dont use junkyard items like starters, tie rod ends, ect because they already have a portion of their limited life used up. id rather replace those kind of parts with new because then my truck/car is that much more reliable.

i dont even like buying junkyard motors if i can avoid it.

but i would run a junkyard speedo cable. its not a high failure item, meaning chances of finding a good one are high...and chances of it failing after you install it are low. its easy enough to test in the junkyard...just pull the transmission end off and give it a spin..you should be able to see the speedometer twitch.
so I got a cable and installed and I still now have the needle wiggle

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
did you lube it with white lithium grease before installing it? im sure, sitting in the junkyard, the grease inside the cables sheath has gotten all dry and crusty.

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
did you lube it with white lithium grease before installing it? im sure, sitting in the junkyard, the grease inside the cables sheath has gotten all dry and crusty.
I did indeed

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
:dntknw: i would run it for a while and see if it clears up. it might just be that the grease needs some time to work all the way through the sheath.

i cant imagine any part of the speedometer system other than the cable causing a bouncing needle...

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:dntknw: i would run it for a while and see if it clears up. it might just be that the grease needs some time to work all the way through the sheath.

i cant imagine any part of the speedometer system other than the cable causing a bouncing needle...
What about the plastic gears in the transfer case, could they be causing a problem as in maybe a worn gear?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
gears either spin or they dont. the speedo needle bobs up and down because the speedo cable is twisting and un-twisting..thus the speedo sees a speeding up and slowing down of the cable. i cant imagine anything else in the system causing the needle to wobble since its all solid mechanical connections.

ive never had the actual speedo head apart before..i wonder if it could be in the speedo head itself...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals