• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer needle malfunction

NPdarkside21

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/R15
My credo
Work Smarter not Harder
So after seeing a how-to on removing the green film on the inside of the instrument cluster, I decided to do it and ended up getting all but the speedometer needle back to it's original position. The strange thing is also, now the needle "jumps" between speeds and sometimes gets stuck between 20-30mph range. All the other needles return and move just fine. I tried "calibrating' it while the whole cluster was plugged in by turning the key and removing/adjusting the needle to sit flush. It sits just below 10mph (like it used to) but now it doesn't move fluidly like it used to. I'm worried I might have broken the gear that the motor/servo turns to gauge the speed. Any suggestions? '99 XLT 3.0L w/out Tachometer.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Never heard of being able to calibrate speed needle at 0MPH

You need to hook up the speedometer motor to AA battery, 1.5volts, and then adjust needle so its pointed at 70mph, then power off and on a few times to make sure it goes to 70mph each time

Use a new AA battery, because you were suppose to do this BEFORE removing the needle so you could see what it showed with that battery so when you put needle back on you would duplicate it
But I think 70-72 is about where it should be with 1.5volts

Pictures here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/general-technical-electrical-18/calibrating-speedometer-needles-134925/

NPdarkside21

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/R15
My credo
Work Smarter not Harder
Don't recall seeing anything about doing that BEFORE taking the needle off but thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Doing it before taking the needle off takes the actual voltage of the AA battery you are using off the table, assuming you use the same battery to re-calibrate needle without putting it back in the remote and using for a few weeks, lol

The actual voltage is what puts the needle at a specific spot, so 1.3v, 1.4v, 1.5v, 1.6v would each show a slightly different MPH
Now any speedometer can have a +/- 5% error, thats industry standard for Ford and most car makers

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals