• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer Conversion

smilinjack

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
408C
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2"
Tire Size
315 /35- 17
My credo
Always bite off more than you can chew!! :)
Hello to all, hope everybody is stayin' healthy!
Dilemma----- I've swapped a 351 (carburetor) Cleveland , w/ manual trans into my 95 Ranger. After the wiring nightmare I THINK I've solved I'm now faced with an electronic speedometer that needs to be cable driven OR whatever conversion I can do.
Any ideas out there, short of tearing out the instrument panel?? Thanks

smilinjack

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
408C
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2"
Tire Size
315 /35- 17
My credo
Thanks for the info, although I trashed the computer and the Power Distribution Box underhood. So I've got a 95 Ranger speedo and instruments with a 1971 Cleveland and toploader 4 spd. I was hoping I could somehow adapt the stock speedo or perhaps replace JUST the speedo (previous year cable type) into the existing configuration??? I really don't want to replace the entire cluster but, if I have to I'll start with a blank and configure with new gauges

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
if the trans uses the pretty standard ford speedometer cable the vss from the 95 will fit right into the trans and operate the speedo, no conversion necessary

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Ford electric speedometers use 8,000ppm(pulse per mile) AC Volt signal
Starting in the mid-late 1980s Ford was running a VSS(vehicle speed sensor) AND Speedometer cable using the same transmission drive/driven gear setup used since the first cable driven speedometers

The VSS was used by cruise and computer, cable was used for speedo/odo

So on your older transmission there will be a the drive/driven gear setup that you can use for VSS

Get that combo VSS/cable unit from original trans, look like this: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/speedsensor.gif

Pull out your cable only drive from current trans
Pull off its driven gear and install it on the VSS/cable unit and reinstall, looks like this: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/speed/vss_withgear.JPG

Your 1995 Ranger wiring harness should still have the VSS connector back by trans tail shaft
Just plug it in, its wired directly to electric speedometer

If speedometer reads higher or lower than actual speed then you can change the driven gear to calibrate it, just like "the old days"

smilinjack

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
408C
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2"
Tire Size
315 /35- 17
My credo
To be clear, you're saying that after I change the gear drive on the existing VSS to fit the toploaders gear drive there is no further wiring changes other than just reconnecting the original harness connector? Even after deleting the PCM? I've finally thrown the towel in on deleting the Engine Compartment Fuse/ Relay Box. I decided to mount it in the dash where the Air Bag would go. I figured I may as well use the relays and fuses to power what's left instead of just buying new ones (relays) and finding a place for them?? Thanks for the info you forwarded, HUGE help!! :cool:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Correct, no changes in wiring needed on a 1995-1997 Ranger if using VSS sensor on transmission

If speedo reads higher or lower than correct speed then you change the driven gear on the VSS to fewer or more teeth, just like in the "Olden days", lol

smilinjack

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
408C
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2"
Tire Size
315 /35- 17
My credo
Great news!! Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals