• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer Calibration After Bigger Tires and Lower Gears

Connor B

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right thread to post in so if it is wrong, sorry.

I've been thinking and researching about what I need to do to fix the speedometer so that it reads right after a tire and/or gear change. I've seen that you don't need to change anything to correct the speedo if you only do a gear change. That doesn't seem right though in my mind. I read about a transmission speedo gear that can be changed out and also just an electronic fix as well. I'm not sure which one applies to my truck though.

I also am not sure what needs to be done with my 2011 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 5-speed manual to fix the speedo after I do the tire upgrade and gear change. I believe I have 3.73 gears now and I will be going to 4.56. I have approx. 29" tires and will be going up to 33" tires after I have the gears changed.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do and confirm what the right thing to do is to correctly calibrate the speedo for the new tire size and gears?

Thanks in advance.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
2011 speedo is digital so must be done via the computer, there are no mechanical cables or gears like older models. Cheapest way to do it yourself is to use Forscan. You'll need a Windows laptop, a OBD2 to USB adapter, and Forscan software. The software is free, an adapter will set you back between $30-$100 bucks. If you don't go that route you'll have to find a local tuner shop and pay them to do it for you. You need to correct the speedo for both a gear change and tire change, both effect the speedometer reading.

Connor B

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
2011 speedo is digital so must be done via the computer, there are no mechanical cables or gears like older models. Cheapest way to do it yourself is to use Forscan. You'll need a Windows laptop, a OBD2 to USB adapter, and Forscan software. The software is free, an adapter will set you back between $30-$100 bucks. If you don't go that route you'll have to find a local tuner shop and pay them to do it for you. You need to correct the speedo for both a gear change and tire change, both effect the speedometer reading.
Thanks for the reply. Nice and simple it seems even with a digital speedo. I'll definitely look into that. I was expecting it to be more expensive and harder to do on my own.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you used 35" tires and 4.56 ratio speedometer would still be correct :)
Actual ratio would be 3.78, so the same, assuming you have 3.73 now

33" and 4.56 would give actual ratio of 4.01, so wouldn't be to far off, if you were showing 60MPH you would actually be going 56MPH
At 40MPH actual would be 37MPH
At 70MPH actual would be 65MPH

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Dakota Digital also makes a calibrator that can be used to correct the speedometer. It is a little more complicated because you must tie into the wires going to the speedometer. I like it because I switch back and forth from 31" to 33" tires with 4.56 gears about four times a year. Once installed it is very easy to recalibrate.

If you are going to need the recalibration just one time, going into the computer yourself or having someone do it is the way to go. Even if you eventually need another change, if you have the equipment and software to do it, it should not be difficult to recalibrate.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

33" and 4.56 would give actual ratio of 4.01, so wouldn't be to far off, if you were showing 60MPH you would actually be going 56MPH
This is why I like Forscan... You don't need to do "math". It will bring up the factory spec, you just input the new tire size and gear ratio and bleep bloop done. :icon_rofl:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There just an app for everything these days. :rolleyes:

Connor B

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Thanks for the info.

I am wanting to have a little bit of increased power as well as having stock performance returned. I will be using this to tow my jet ski to the lake every weekend through a canyon so a little more power is what I'm after. I also want a little more power for when I go off-roading too. That's why I chose 33" tires and to go with 4.56 gears.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info.

I am wanting to have a little bit of increased power as well as having stock performance returned. I will be using this to tow my jet ski to the lake every weekend through a canyon so a little more power is what I'm after. I also want a little more power for when I go off-roading too. That's why I chose 33" tires and to go with 4.56 gears.
Then use 32" tires with the 4.56, that would be 4.12, so 4.10, best for off the line and towing power
But would need speed calibration

One of the problems with larger tires is their added weight and the taller stance, so you lose power and MPG

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals