• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sparkplugs, what works for you?

Kona

06/2014 OTOTM Winner
Canada Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
35x12.50x15
I know , there is a thread somewhere... here FTE.com Serious Explorers , somewhere with this info. Anyways I took out the worn out Autolite copper plugs and put on NGK wires and Bosch 2X platinum plugs. As expected I now have noticeably more power but my fuel mileage has not improved as much as I would have thought. I have read that people have had bad luck with the Bosch plugs so I am trolling for some opinions please.

michowski

Reaction score
I currently run the splitfire plugs and I havent had any problems. Took them out after a year and they still looked newer. Im anti bosch for spark plugs. Seen a lot fail and to me there not reliable.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You won't get any real advantage over the stock type motorcraft/autolite plugs. There is no real need on these trucks for a hotter spark than what your basic plug will throw if properly gapped.

FWIW I've also heard of Bosch plugs failing in automotive applications. I know I won't Run anything but autolite, when I bought my 99 it had Bosch plugs. Upon removal of one or two of them they fell apart in my hands. For the foreseeable future I'll only be putting autolites in the autos, and NGKs in the Motorcycle and lawn equipment.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I won't run anything except for NGK in any vehicle or toy that I own.

Donnie strickland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have run Bosch, Autolite, and NGK plugs, all for around 40,000 mile intervals, and I must confess I could see no real difference in mileage or power between them. They all seemed to work well.

I have heard people say they have had reliability problems with Bosch plugs but I haven't seen this.

surffishin07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
round here bosch is bout the best you can get they work well in the summer heat ive seen too many others bun up when its over 100 outside imagine what the engine is like

soylent_green

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Things I've learned about spark plugs:

Copper plugs will produce just as good a spark as a platinum or double platnium. The only difference is longevity. Platinum plugs will last up to 2 or 3 times the lifespan of a copper plug. This is because every time the plug fires, a microscopic amount of metal is vaporized.

The gap on a standard spark plug grows about 0.000126 in. for every 1,000 miles of normal driving. And the wider the gap, the greater the voltage needed to jump the gap. On standard plugs, the firing voltage requirements creep up about 500 volts for every 10,000 to 15,000 miles of driving. Eventually, the plug may need more volts to fire than the coil can produce, causing the plug to misfire.

Platinum is much more resistant to the vaporizing effects of the spark, to the point that using platinum almost eliminates electrode wear.

single platinum plugs have one electrode surface made with platinum. (generally the base electrode, which runs much hotter) Double platinum plugs have both surfaces made of platinum..

One thing to keep in mind about all "performance" spark plug designs is that no plug can magically create horsepower out of thin air or add horsepower that wasn't there in the first place. But improved ignition reliability can minimize horsepower losses caused by misfires. That's why some plug manufacturers claim their spark plugs improve power. The gains come from power that was being lost to misfires.

Good plug wires are just as important to ignition performance as the spark plugs. If the full voltage doesn't make it to the plug, misfires could happen, especially with 'aging' spark plugs.

Iridium plugs take the diference between copper and platnium up to the next step in terms of longevity.

I use NGK Iridium IX plugs in my ranger , mainly because I won't have to worry about replacing them for 100K miles.

Last edited:

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
+1 on the NGK plugs. I used them in my old car before I wrecked it. They lasted so much longer than the original plugs. I too am currently running the Iridiums in my Ranger along with a set of Accell's 8.5mm pkug wires. (I know that the wires will not give me any greater performance I bought them soully because they were they only ones I could find in Yellow at the time)

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Platinum is much more resistant to the vaporizing effects of the spark, to the point that using platinum almost eliminates electrode wear.

single platinum plugs have one electrode surface made with platinum. (generally the base electrode, which runs much hotter) Double platinum plugs have both surfaces made of platinum..
Actually, the reason for both electrodes having platinum is due to opposite polarity spark from "waste spark" ignitions, which Ford's DIS, and EDIS are.
The electrode that erodes is determined by the spark polarity. With these
ignition systems, 2 plugs fire in series, each plug getting opposite polarity spark, and they fire on every revolution of the crank, twice as often as a conventional ignition system. One cylinder will
be near the top of the compression stroke, while the other cylinder will be near the top of the exhaust stroke, hence the term "waste spark".

Stay with Motorcraft (or Autolite) double platinums (or the new fine wire platinums) in Ford products! NGK is a fine plug (for Japanese applications), but to be sure your getting the correct heat range plug, stay with Motorcraft, or Autolite (both plugs are made by Honeywell, a division of Allied Signal)

Last edited:

mfp4073

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
and stay away from "split fire" and other such plugs. They are a scam....

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Motocraft platinums always work for me. My theory is that if a plug would solve mileage problems the factory would put it in. The stock ignition system is more than adequate for a stock engine.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i just run the std autolite's bosch platnims are way too pricey and its not too bad to change plugs in my 4 liter, much better than say a '87 astro van, that i did put the pricey platnum plugs in - once, i never wanted to do that job again.
________
Ford Iosis picture

Last edited:

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Motorcraft plugs for Ford products. We've cured many driveabilty issues by replacing NGK,Bosh,AC Delco or whatever was installed by the cust or other shop.
As for wires, anything really. As long as they are in good shape and working. Don't seem to be as critical as the plugs themselves.

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i've used NGK in my 77 GMC they worked great but I switched to something else. ill check what they are when I get home.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals