• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spark Plug advice/Reco.1993 XLT 3.0L v6

Rich0928

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone i just recently purchased a 1993 2WD XLT Extended Cab, 3.0L v6 automatic 91,000 miles/ 1 owner
I will be using this truck as my daily driver for work. I will be driving from Texas to wherever my company needs me which could be, ohio, West Virginia, Kansas, Florida etc. I am wanting to know what are the best spark plugs for my truck that will benefit me in the long run. I am a first time owner of a ford ranger and any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I’ll attach a photo of the truck below’670C0A7D-E6B7-4043-AE31-D8298321597C.png

Attachments

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Great looking ranger, 94 and older rangers are so much easier to work on in certain areas compared to 95 and newer. The 3.0 is a great engine, with an auto it has been given the name 3.slow...oh my 2.3 has more strength than that..truth is the 3.0 is a higher rpm engine. Makes it full potential above 3500 rpm, so don't be afraid to revv it. These engines are not that well below 2500..with an auto it may feel gutless. Ford tuned the computer to shift gears at a much lower rpm, it never reaches its full potential power band. Check the throttle cable at the pedal side, there may be slack if there is its called a throttle cable mod with a few plastic wire ties. I would suggest putting in a instrument cluster with a tach to see where it is in the rpm..that's my opinion. A 3.0 with a 5spd manual transmission is a lot of fun, that is what I have in my 94.

I suggest Motorcraft spark plugs. Autolite plugs are also good..that's it. These older ford engines only do best with these two brands. I prefer to use Motorcraft plugs.

Welcome to planet vulcan and the ranger gatherings.

Need more advice or assistance ask away.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That looks a lot like TN. Welcome to TRS. You did well getting that at under 100K miles, and if those were highway and driven easy miles (which I expect they were) it could last you a very long time, I got my 93 over 15 years ago and it already had 230K, but at least those were also highway and very well cared for miles,
Get you a manual from the auto parts store and maybe a Ford CD from Ebay for your year and you will soon know everything you need about it

If you will spend a lot of time on the road be sure to keep it locked because these are great trucks but also well liked among the ones who might want to "borry" it. I always lock mine up as a habit but also carry minimal keys so I can carry two sets at all times since I'm prone to lock it, the rare times the keys get left behind I already have another set in my pocket to grab it on out of there

Good luck and best wishes with all of it Rich

Rich0928

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Great looking ranger, 94 and older rangers are so much easier to work on in certain areas compared to 95 and newer. The 3.0 is a great engine, with an auto it has been given the name 3.slow...oh my 2.3 has more strength than that..truth is the 3.0 is a higher rpm engine. Makes it full potential above 3500 rpm, so don't be afraid to revv it. These engines are not that well below 2500..with an auto it may feel gutless. Ford tuned the computer to shift gears at a much lower rpm, it never reaches its full potential power band. Check the throttle cable at the pedal side, there may be slack if there is its called a throttle cable mod with a few plastic wire ties. I would suggest putting in a instrument cluster with a tach to see where it is in the rpm..that's my opinion. A 3.0 with a 5spd manual transmission is a lot of fun, that is what I have in my 94.

I suggest Motorcraft spark plugs. Autolite plugs are also good..that's it. These older ford engines only do best with these two brands. I prefer to use Motorcraft plugs.

Welcome to planet vulcan and the ranger gatherings.

Need more advice or assistance ask away.
thank you! The new generation doesn’t seem to see the value in this little ol truck, because it is not a brand new model with all the latest gadgets but I have met a good amount of folks that see the potential and the many more years she’s got to give!

well,
I’ve looked every where on the Internet and can’t seem to find much information for my year and model. Is there a thread/forum with videos, info, or advice on upkeep/tuneup, and performance upgrades that will help with any common problems this year and model may have? Also are all of the parts for this particular model from newer years able to fit the same model and year as mine or are they close enough in as I can use the exact same parts plug in play? Sorry if that sounds confusing…

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
New generation of people want the gadgets and all that fancy junk, its what thier growing up around. Alot of people do appreciate these older rangers. Best place for ranger advice is here and YouTube videos.

In the past there were quite a few performances for the 3.0..not so much anymore these days. On a stock engine a few have done the electric fan swap, I prefer the mechanical fan clutch and fan blade. Roller rockers have been a big add on people have done, you could get a pile of junkyard parts from newer 3.0 engines..such 98 and newer upper intake manifold, etc. On a low mileage 3.0 like yours I wouldn't change anything especially since your going to drive it alot on highways..these older 3.0 are relatively reliable and easy to work on. Clean design from 86 when ford put it in the Aerostar and Taurus, in 91 it went into the ranger. Keeping it tuned up with good parts is key..93 to 94 3.0 engines are bullet proof. In 95 when it got the cam sensor that replaced the distributor, they had problems. The 93 and 94 3.0 are as basic as you can get. Only bolt on parts that are direct bolt on are body parts from 93-97..other years for door panels some interior will work..not much. Suspensions from 93-97 will work as they have the I beam front suspension setup. Some 95-97 3.0 engine parts will work for your 93..95 went to ob2, the computer and wiring changes were done to add alot more wiring. The 94 and older rangers are ob1..less wiring.

Performance for this engine are headers, after market intake, etc..on a stock engine they are useless..I tried those in the 90s, nothing. Personally I would do a good Flowmaster exhaust, the throttle cable mod and a instrument cluster with a tach. Those can be had from a 93-94 explorer or ranger. The 4.0 tach is 5000 recline no worries there. The 3.0 is 5500 on the tach..those are hard to find as there were not many 3.0 in the 93-94 rangers, most had no tach. The cluster with a tach is a direct swap.

The only way to get any real performance from the 3.0 is do a complete rebuild like I have done. I had the Flowmaster original 40 for almost 20 years with 2.5 piping..switched over to the super 44 earlier this year. Love it alot more. On my 94 3.0 the outside looks stock other than the alternator and radiator...inside is where the real vulcan lives. Any more questions ask away. Here is my 3.0

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals