• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

spark knock/detonation

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
as the page specified, a CID and cam position sensor are the same thing. a "you say tomatoe" kind of deal.

from that site:

the cam sensor (or CID if you like) is used in determining ignition timing :beer:
It looks like you are only reading what you want to read! You completely missed this information:

"On other setups, such as the 2.3L Ranger, the PIP and CID signals are both generated from the crankshaft"

"EDIS, on the other hand, utilizes a single input from the crankshaft position sensor"

And to refresh your memory, the original poster has a 2.3L, AND EDIS!!!

We are still waiting for you tell us what vehicles( just one will do) ONLY have a CMP........

Last edited:

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
the cam sensor (or CID if you like) is used in determining ignition timing
Yeah right, just can't quit can you.

- 2. The CID signal from the camshaft position sensor. The CID signal provides the DIS Module with the information it needs to synchronize the ignition coils in the proper sequence.

- 3. The SPOUT (spark out) signal back from the PCM. The SPOUT signal contains optimal spark timing and dwell time data.
Note the SPOUT provides the WHEN to fire the coil NOT the CID. It only supplies the which coil to fire info.

A loss of the CID signal will not result in shutdown. Instead, the system will remember the proper sequence and continue to fire the coils in order to maintain engine operation. If the DIS Module does not receive valid CID input during engine cranking, random coil synchronization will be attempted. Therefore, several start attempts (cycling the ignition switch from OFF to START) may be required to start the engine.
Any further questions? Quit picking out the parts you want in an attempt to save face.

:annoyed:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
good lord...i NEVER said the original posters engine used the CID/CMS for timing! i said many engines do....and that site specifies this is true.

i also NEVER said engines existed with only a CMS. maybe you guys should scan over my posts again...as your putting words in my mouth.

knowing which coil to fire as well as when to fire it is part of timing.

i know the CPS provides timing input and i know some engines only have a CPS. im not talking about those engines. im talking about engines that have a CID/CMS. in those engines, the CID/CMS is used to determine which coil to fire.....which is part of "timing".

i cant possibly make myself any clearer.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
good lord...i NEVER said the original posters engine used the CID/CMS for timing! i said many engines do....and that site specifies this is true.

i also NEVER said engines existed with only a CMS. maybe you guys should scan over my posts again...as your putting words in my mouth.

i know the CPS provides timing input and i know some engines only have a CPS. im not talking about those engines. im talking about engines that have a CID/CMS. in those engines, the CID/CMS is used to determine which coil to fire.....which is part of "timing".

To try and weasel out of where you have been wrong, you have messed up the terms for the sensors. Here is the correct designation:

CMP = Camshaft Position Sensor
CKP = Crankshaft Position Sensor

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Here is a statement you made (post #18) that is TOTALLY WRONG:

"since the ignition timing is usually determined baised on the cams position, changing your cam/valve timing would also change your ignition timing."

CLEARLY WRONG!!!!!

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Wrong, even if the CMP has crapped out the engine will still start and time itself just fine. When cranking it takes the computer a bit longer to figure out which coil to fire first but once it has the engine running it'll continue to run just fine.

Why don't you go out and pull the plug on your CMP and then take your truck for a drive.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
To try and weasel out of where you have been wrong, you have messed up the terms for the sensors. Here is the correct designation:

CMP = Camshaft Position Sensor
CKP = Crankshaft Position Sensor
bob, did you know what i meant when i put "CMS" and "CPS"? if so then starting yet a new argument is pointless.

dave, i know the engine will still run with a failed CMP...i never said it wouldnt. but regardless, the PCM DOES use the signal to determine WHICH coil to fire.

which is exactly what ive said for the last 5 posts. im tired of going around in circles with you guys. ive literally run out of ways to explain my point, so im sorry if you dont understand. :dunno:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
bob, did you know what i meant when i put "CMS" and "CPS"? if so then starting yet a new argument is pointless.

dave, i know the engine will still run with a failed CMP...i never said it wouldnt. but regardless, the PCM DOES use the signal to determine WHICH coil to fire.

which is exactly what ive said for the last 5 posts. im tired of going around in circles with you guys. ive literally run out of ways to explain my point, so im sorry if you dont understand. :dunno:

Why can't you just admit you are worng??????

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals