• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

spare tire mount replacement and possible fabrication

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
I have the stock spare tire mount on my 97 ranger. The tire and rim i have i have bounce of the mount and the tire hits my rear end. i know have to replace the seal on it. Has anyone replaced this spare tire mount with a S10 spare tire mount (the cable coil that the tire iron is used to spin) i believe the new rangers also have this style. If so, is it hard to do or can i have suggestions on what to do to remedy my problem. Thanks.

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
here check these out for fab work

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
thanks, but im looking more for a stock look, i still need my truck to be functional for a daily driver too.

Ingandreal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I cut my stock tire mount off completely and then took a 10 inch long carraige bolt and drilled a hole in the center of the bed just above where the center of the rim would be and dropped the carraige bolt down through. Then took a large enough peice of plate ( used some square washer lookin thing from the hardware store) and then used a large wing nut on it. put the tire up, put on the plate and the wing nut and kept turnin her untill she didnt move anymore. that bar that runs down and across right next to the rear axle, left that so i have something to put the tire up on to hold in place while i remove and install. I had a bent bolt on the old tire carrier and decided to just rip it out. i have 31's and it fits just perfect and havent had any problems with clearance on my differential or exhaust or anything.

nate09

Reaction score
could bed mount it. mine has a simple J shaped hanger with one end threaded that feeds thru one of the holes in the rim. sits right behind the drivers seat.

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
thanks. i ended up getting the spare tire winch off of an 87 s10. i bolted that on. it works for now, but i think im still going to try something else

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals