• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spare PATS Key Programming - I Need Help Please

saxtech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I purchased 2 spare PATS keys but I can't get them to program with the 2 working keys that I have. This is my second order for 2 spare PATS keys as the first set wouldn't program either so I sent them back. Now this second order from a different vendor doesn't work either so now I believe something other than the new keys are the problem.

I purchased this 2003 XLT Ranger a few months ago. It had 43,000 miles on it and came with 2 Ford Keys that work. Both of these 2 keys have a "S" stamped in the shank so this tells me that they are Strattec Keys (40 bit). I have followed the instructions found on the web to program extra keys by inserting the original to ON position, wait a few seconds, remove and do the same with the next working key and then the new spare key. By following the instructions, I can not program my new keys from 2 separate vendors. Here is my current key purchase : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072KPHZ39/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now since I am not the original owner of this low mileage Ranger, I really don't know if the 2 working keys I received when I bought the truck, are Original Ford Master Keys. I don't know if they are clones and I don't know if more than 8 keys have been programmed into the Ranger.

So I purchased this OBD2 Reader below. But I have NO IDEA what to do now with it as it came with no instructions. It did come with a mini-cd for maybe the drivers, but some have said that it may have viruses. I'm willing to download to my laptop, a trial version of Forscan software. But I really don't know which program to download that accommodates PATS Key Programming and I really don't know what I am doing and am a little scared that I might ruin the computer system in the truck.

Has anyone else here been in the same dilemma ?

Can someone give me Step-By-Step instructions for dummies please ? I mean, everything from what software to download to my laptop to what to do once I have it on my laptop and what selections to make once I plug the reader and laptop into my truck.

Here is the Forscan Reader I purchased:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
are your two working keys different keys? if one is a clone of the other then you won't be able to program new keys.

AJ

saxtech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
are your two working keys different keys? if one is a clone of the other then you won't be able to program new keys.

AJ
I have no idea if one is a clone. How would I know that ? Two working keys came with the truck when I purchased it a few months ago. Both have a "S" stamped on the shank and both have the blue Ford Jewel Logo on them.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
You could try Forscan.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Your description of how your trying to program the keys doesnt sound right.

First, door needs to be shut and you cannot touch the brake pedal during the process. Insert factory key one and turn to run position (count to 3) remove and quickly insert factory key two and turn to run position (count to 3) remove and insert new key number one and leave in the run position until the chime stops then turn it off, wait for the anti theft to flash and then start the truck with the new key.

Repeat the process over again for new key number 2.

If it still doesnt work you could have cloned keys, or too many keys already programmed into the system.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If the customer program feature is not working it may be turned off or the truck may have the maximum 8 keys already programmed.

As for the how of programming with Forscan, I haven't done it yet.

saxtech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Your description of how your trying to program the keys doesnt sound right.

First, door needs to be shut and you cannot touch the brake pedal during the process. Insert factory key one and turn to run position (count to 3) remove and quickly insert factory key two and turn to run position (count to 3) remove and insert new key number one and leave in the run position until the chime stops then turn it off, wait for the anti theft to flash and then start the truck with the new key.

Repeat the process over again for new key number 2.

If it still doesnt work you could have cloned keys, or too many keys already programmed into the system.
How can I check to see if there are too many keys programmed or if I have cloned keys ? Has anybody had experience with this issue ?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
How can I check to see if there are too many keys programmed or if I have cloned keys ? Has anybody had experience with this issue ?

If using Forscan you should be able to get into the PID menu for the PATS system and see how many keys have been programmed. It will accept up to 8.

Checking for cloned keys is harder, but if they both have the blue and silver Ford logo it is unlikely either is a clone. Clones have a more generic appearance as they came from a locksmith or hardware store, not a dealership.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If you cant get the keys to program with the simple program method I would be leery using forscan. Forscan deletes ALL keys on the system and you need at least 2 known good working non cloned keys to add back to the system or you will be completely locked out and your truck will be a boat anchor until you tow it to a dealer...

saxtech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you cant get the keys to program with the simple program method I would be leery using forscan. Forscan deletes ALL keys on the system and you need at least 2 known good working non cloned keys to add back to the system or you will be completely locked out and your truck will be a boat anchor until you tow it to a dealer...
You might be right. Maybe I should just leave well-enough alone...

Can a locksmith do this job reasonably cheaper than a dealer if I take my newly cut PATS keys to him for programming or for troubleshooting the existing problem ? Is this something they're trained to do?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes most "good" locksmiths will have a scanner capable of programming PATS keys and be able to figure out what the issue is with why you cant get those new keys programmed. My local ACE hardware sells the key, cuts it, and programs it for 60 bucks which is a pretty good deal, but... they aren't really experts so if there is a problem I wouldn't really trust the fine people at ACE to be able to figure it out.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I was worried about running into problems the first time I used Forscan, but it was a fairly painless process and not very difficult. I got Strattec keys cut and shipped to me by a locksmith, so I was fairly certain I would be ok. Now days I have my own key machine and only buy my blanks from a reputable supplier, so I’m good there.

Most likely you’re having a problem with the process of trying to use the on-board programming (it’s happened to me where it took a few tries to get it right), or that somehow you have a cloned key. I want to say that a good locksmith should be able to check the keys for you and tell you what’s what.

saxtech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was worried about running into problems the first time I used Forscan, but it was a fairly painless process and not very difficult. I got Strattec keys cut and shipped to me by a locksmith, so I was fairly certain I would be ok. Now days I have my own key machine and only buy my blanks from a reputable supplier, so I’m good there.

Most likely you’re having a problem with the process of trying to use the on-board programming (it’s happened to me where it took a few tries to get it right), or that somehow you have a cloned key. I want to say that a good locksmith should be able to check the keys for you and tell you what’s what.
I took my newly purchased keys (after I had them cut) to a key shop and he said that he could not detect a transponder in the keys. I guess I got ripped off AGAIN on Amazon.... UGGGHHH !

The key shop I went to could not tell me if I had 2 cloned keys. Maybe he did not know how to do this so I still don't know if I am working with 2 OEM Keys or 2 Cloned Keys :-(

Can you send a link to the "reputable supplier" that you use please ? Or private Message me the link please ?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals