• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Source for finding an engine for an 85 Bronco 2

85 Red

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Can any one help I need some sources, searching for an engine for my 85, head gasket blew.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you have an well established machine shop you might get lucky and they will have either a block and parts or a whole engine. In my smallish city of 125,000 there are still 2 shops that I would check. Both shops have been here for decades.

85 Red

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
I live in New Orleans but even though it's a bigger city no one hardly stores anything because of limited space but it is worth checking thanks! I do know of some old machine shops here.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
2.8 or 2.9 shipping would be outrageous but I have a rebuildable block, why not just have yours rebuilt, I'm having a reputable shop rebuild a 4.0 and the quote is 1700-2000$ for the whole shebang.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a rebuilt 1974 (?) 2.8L that makes 161-180 psi and is set up for a points distributor. It was put into a 1976 Alfa Romeo Spider and road tested , but, was shortly removed after trying to sell the car on CL bceause I got sick of idiots. Alfa Romeo Spiders bring out the best of them, like the guy that showed up for a test drive on crutches and a cast on his foot.

Been sitting in my garage for two years, since I am doing a 3" body lift soon on my ratted out 82 B2, I have been thinking about just going with a 4.0 (carb version) or 5.0L carb. Trouble is I bought a complete 4.0L clucth for the engine swap and I do not want to just walk away from that.

From the build sheet:

Ign. Timing: -10 BTDC
Engine
#1 185
#2 175
#3 162
#4 185
#5 180
#6 175
compression:
psi
psi
psi
psi
psi
psi
Engine block:
pxb
*sr 23473*
Engine head:
77tm 6090b
Engine Intake:
aluminum
75tf-9425-aa
fire order 142536

I live in Stone Mountain GA, I do not know if that is too far for you, to even consider an offer.

85 Red

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
2.8 or 2.9 shipping would be outrageous but I have a rebuildable block, why not just have yours rebuilt, I'm having a reputable shop rebuild a 4.0 and the quote is 1700-2000$ for the whole shebang.
I might be doing that I want to check out this shop called Jasper here. How does it usually work I have to bring it to them then pick it up? I mean is that how your going to do it there?

85 Red

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
I have a rebuilt 1974 (?) 2.8L that makes 161-180 psi and is set up for a points distributor. It was put into a 1976 Alfa Romeo Spider and road tested , but, was shortly removed after trying to sell the car on CL bceause I got sick of idiots. Alfa Romeo Spiders bring out the best of them, like the guy that showed up for a test drive on crutches and a cast on his foot.

Been sitting in my garage for two years, since I am doing a 3" body lift soon on my ratted out 82 B2, I have been thinking about just going with a 4.0 (carb version) or 5.0L carb. Trouble is I bought a complete 4.0L clucth for the engine swap and I do not want to just walk away from that.

From the build sheet:

Ign. Timing: -10 BTDC
Engine
#1 185
#2 175
#3 162
#4 185
#5 180
#6 175
compression:
psi
psi
psi
psi
psi
psi
Engine block:
pxb
*sr 23473*
Engine head:
77tm 6090b
Engine Intake:
aluminum
75tf-9425-aa
fire order 142536

I live in Stone Mountain GA, I do not know if that is too far for you, to even consider an offer.
Sounds good but I think it's too far for me. Besides I am trying to do something closer to stock I am not really advanced in these types of projects. I just want a good engine with a little extra power and speed.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
I might be doing that I want to check out this shop called Jasper here. How does it usually work I have to bring it to them then pick it up? I mean is that how your going to do it there?
Ya I pulled striped the engine down at home. He has the heads right now, wanted to have them gone over first, incase I needed to buy a new set. If good he's gonna rebuild them. Then I'll drop the block off, I'm also still making up my mind on what I want to do. But once it's done I'll bring the block home, and swap will be on its way.

85 Red

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Ya I pulled striped the engine down at home. He has the heads right now, wanted to have them gone over first, incase I needed to buy a new set. If good he's gonna rebuild them. Then I'll drop the block off, I'm also still making up my mind on what I want to do. But once it's done I'll bring the block home, and swap will be on its way.
My mechanic did the AC work and caused something to either clog or therm switch stuck probably therm switch then caused to blow the head gasket . anyhow I had the head gasket blown and then shaved before and it was fine but I here that you can never tell how hot the engine really got till you chance it and put it all back together again then you could have orings burnt up etc. So it's too chancy IMO. What happen to yours just wore out engine?

85 Red

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
I might get me a flat trailer there are some pretty decent rebuild shops here. I'm Probably going to have machine shop rebuild my engine then mechanic install. I'd rather get the reman then take chances buying something that probably has High high miles and being a bronco2 probably was in the mud trails for years.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Mine had 240000 miles on it burned oil, once I had it apart the cylinder walls were glazed over. I bought two expos. For parts to swap but the one with the better engine is too nice but im still taking the tranny lol. So I cut the rest of the rig up and took the engine. Even if it's seen heat, get your heads preasure tested, magnafluxed, and if good,rebuilt. Bore over the cylinders, use over sized pistons, they should machine the crank to fit new bearings, same with the cam, after that it's just gaskets, or if your into the idea of getting More Power do like me find a 4.0 have it rebuilt, and more power lol.

85 Red

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Mine had 240000 miles on it burned oil, once I had it apart the cylinder walls were glazed over. I bought two expos. For parts to swap but the one with the better engine is too nice but im still taking the tranny lol. So I cut the rest of the rig up and took the engine. Even if it's seen heat, get your heads preasure tested, magnafluxed, and if good,rebuilt. Bore over the cylinders, use over sized pistons, they should machine the crank to fit new bearings, same with the cam, after that it's just gaskets, or if your into the idea of getting More Power do like me find a 4.0 have it rebuilt, and more power lol.
//"Even if it's seen heat, get your heads preasure tested, magnafluxed, and if good,rebuilt."//

I thought that even if everything got too much heat it could still get rebuilt, I'm going to be talking to the mechanic tomorrow probably going over some of this.

I was happy with my 2.8L for what Im doing with it these days is good for me I might hit some lite trails for camping but mainly driving around town. Mybe later light do a serious upgrade for more power and performance.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Just so you know I have a build thread going in the 83 plus 4x4 category. There is alot to the 4.0 swap on 1st gens, however ithink it will be worth it. I will say the 2.8 in both trucks I had with them was a peppy power plant, with enough go for what I needed. They both ender up being retired for various reasons mostly rust. This truck though has a 2.3 carbed, and even though it's a reliable 37 year old engine, it has no balls, I got hit in the bed earlier this year and I saw it coming but couldn't floor it anymore to get out of the way. So the 4.0 just makes sense for me. However if your heads end up being bad and you have trouble finding some, don't give up. Building a 4.0 is nearly the same price, but does require other mods to be made.

85 Red

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
But if the heads end up being bad (and they are, theyre blown) can't I still have my same engine rebuilt at the machine shop? I have had it for a while but I'm still new to all this.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The heads weren't blown, the head gasket was. The heads could still have problems but that's what the machine shop will check for you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals