• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Soon to be Ranger owner!!

pwrshft99

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a long list of Fords I've owned in the past but not yet a Ranger. I'm currently driving a 2000 Explorer Limited. I love the 5.0 and AWD but I drive 700 miles a week and gas is killing me.

Enter the 4 cylinder Ranger!!

While I don't even have a truck yet, I like to dream big. I want a 96 or 97 regular cab, short bed, 4x4, 2.3, five speed. Seems like this is a hard combination to find.

I'd like to turn this into my own version of syclone/typhoon fighter. My ideal drivetrain is a Thunderbird 2.3 Turbo with a 5 speed and an AWD transfer case. While I've done some research, I'm still uncertain how it will all come together.

The motor should be a straight forward swap, I will use a mass air truck so its tunable

I was told the stronger Mustang T5 components could work in the 4 cylinder five speed case?? If this is true, its probably my best bang for Buck tranny wise.

Since the Explorer and Ranger are so similar, I'm hoping an 5.0 Explorer AWD transfer case would work.

Finally the 4x4 Ranger front suspension apparently instead going to like the drop I had in mind. I've read the AWD Aerostar front suspension is the way to go with a handling minded Ranger, however I can't find any writeups.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Welcome to TRS...sounds like you have aspirations to be a fighter pilot...hope your budget allows this since what you are looking for may be do-able but could cost you some $$$$$ in the process...

Not a problem for some, but a roadblock for others...the turbo engine with a stock tranny works fine in most cases...although working combinations of both are getting harder to find in junkyards there is always someone selling them to the guy with the most toys...

I would suggest checking out the threads for the turbo engines on here and maybe reading a bit about what works and what doesn't...you may be able to add to the information if you've done it before...or learn something in the process...I've been toying with the idea of turbo for a while...I would love to be able to feel the thrust of a good turbo engine coupled with a brunette in bouncy mode but they always want more money than I have in my pocket...and my credit is not good with these brunettes so it's a dream...so far...

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum!!

pwrshft99

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Good Lawd i forgot i signed up here, where does time go??

9 years later and i DO have a running, driving 2.3T Ranger!! Didn't attempt AWD like i wanted but 2wd and sticky tires is working out ok.

Still needs tuning but a basic rundown..
96 Ranger, 88 2.3t motor. OBD2 electronics with SCT Advantage calling the shots. 80mm MAF with 42# injectors, 3" exhaust, Volvo FMIC and manual boost controller. Fun truck that gets lots of attention....and itll never be finished

Attachments

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
I think we should change your name to rip van winkle. Welcome back.(y)

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Good Lawd i forgot i signed up here, where does time go??

9 years later and i DO have a running, driving 2.3T Ranger!! Didn't attempt AWD like i wanted but 2wd and sticky tires is working out ok.

Still needs tuning but a basic rundown..
96 Ranger, 88 2.3t motor. OBD2 electronics with SCT Advantage calling the shots. 80mm MAF with 42# injectors, 3" exhaust, Volvo FMIC and manual boost controller. Fun truck that gets lots of attention....and itll never be finished
that's the way a lot of us like 'em, a never ending project.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals