• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Soon as I hook the battery up the gauge cluster lights go crazy and does nothing

Dirtmcgurt88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I bought a 04 ranger xl 2.3 5 spd regular cab shortbed. Might be a possible beach victim. Bought it from a guy who works at a wrecker service that told me fwc called it in to be towed and after 30 days prior owner beings title to avoid towing fees. Guy said it ran and drove. Well wrecker service evidently pulled the plugs and some broke and they vaccumed out the pieces. Then for some reason quit , he didn't know why. I get it home and got to pull the plugs thinking they didn't finish. Well there were none in it and the battery and intake tube as was as the mass airflow was gone. So I get a battery put new terminals on and hook it up and I look inside and the instrument cluster lights were going crazy flickering on and off. The key was off. The longer the battery was connected the lights slowly go out one by one. However once you try and turn the key some lights come back and nothing happens. Only thing I hear is the starter relay. Now the fuse panels (dilemma) under the hood I checked all the fuses and relays and cleaned them up as best as I could. The passenger side kick panel fuse box I was going to pull each fuse individually check and clean where they plug into ( looks like some corrosion). The very first fuse (5amp) I pull on the very bottom left if looking directly at it and it breaks leaving the spades in the fuse panel. I stopped right there. I did replace a ignition switch at the bottom end of the steering column because it was corroded and sticking. But nothing has helped. Now I did find a exact same truck in a junkyard just a 2011 I'm wondering if I should get the under hood fuse box , passenger side kick panel fuse box and PCM and will it work in a 04. Any help is appreciated on where to go or look for. This going to be my son's first truck so it's a project for him and I , sorry for a very long first post.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2004 was Ranger's 1st year with the HEC(hybrid electric cluster), the dash, and 1st year for the SJB(smart junction box), behind the fuse panel in cab, its the Body Computer

No, you can't just swap the PCM(engine computer), the HEC and PCM are a match pair, neither would work without the other
So you would need to swap out both with another match pair, or get Ford to swap one or the other and "re-match" them, its part of the security system

You can swap out the SJB, but need to match options, i.e. power windows, door locks and keyless entry
There are pictures here of what inside the SJB: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/short_burst_horn_mod.shtml

If the vehicle has been submerged, i.e. corroded wires, then I would give the SJB a good look, pull it out

Not sure on the match up of 2011 and 2004, but I would think its OK if they have same engine(2.3l) and transmission(auto or manual)

It does read like a project

Dirtmcgurt88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It does read like a project
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the quick response. And yes it's a project for sure lol. But a good $500 truck and my son actually wanting to learn is good enough for me. I will definitely check out the SJB for sure. I do know for sure the junkyard 2011 is a exact copy of what we have. Crank windows , manual locks , no cruise control and used to be a 2.3 5spd 2wd (jy removed engine and trans) even the same body style. So if I took the SJB , HEC and PCM all together in theory I should be in good shape as long as all the options are the same as mine like they are.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that would work

You will need the KEYS from the other truck, at least 1, and the ignition cylinder and door locks if possible

1999 and up Rangers have PATS(passive anti-theft system) they use keys that have an RFID tag in the handle, each key has a unique number
The PATS system has 3 or 4 keys programmed in at the factory, the keys that come with the new vehicle
And only those keys can be used to start the engine
A new key can be added using a laptop and Ford software, but best to try and get 1 working key

The PCM will not turn on the fuel pump or the fuel injectors unless PATS gives it the "OK to start" message
System has no work around, even for thieves

In 2004 and up Rangers the PATS is in the HEC dash, just FYI

Dirtmcgurt88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hmm the keys might be a problem. I don't recall the keys being in it but to be honest I wasn't looking for em at all. But I might just bite the bullet and try and go there tomorrow and see what I can find. I guess worst case scenario I'll just get the SJB but if the y keys are there I'll see about getting it all. Thank you so much for the information and I will keep posting the outcome as I go.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you get the PCM and HEC without keys, worst case is you call a Mobile locksmith, most have the Ford software and can add your current keys to the New HEC cluster memory, even make an extra key if needed
You can only added keys with system IN the vehicle and powering up

You ALWAYS want to have a spare PATS key, lol, you are screwed without one

Dirtmcgurt88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok well update is I got the SJB from the junkyard and got it put in. Hooked the battery up and no lights were instant except the (I assume) theft light. Turned the key and the windshield washer scared the shit out of me spraying my other son in the face lmao. So they are stuck on. Truck does nothing else. Had somebody listen for the fuel pump to kick on and nothing. Not even the headlights come on. Not discouraged because this to me is a step in the right direction. Something works now. Even the radio comes on now so that's cool lol. So in my though I believe the PATS system is kicking in and killing the truck. I don't believe the digital mileage showed up so I believe I need to get a new HEC , PCM , ignition switch with keys and door locks from a donor that hopefully worked. And I'm guessing that if the washers came on instantly with the key that I'll need a new multi function switch and being no headlights a new headlight switch as well. Now the JY truck I went to today did not have keys in the ignition. So with that being said if I get the junkyard PCM and HEC can a mobile locksmith program them to my existing ignition , keys and door locks? Or should I still try and extract the JY ignition switch without the keys and get the door locks?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If the theft light(padlock) came on and started flashing rapidly that means PATS shut down PCM
But Theft light should come on with key on and then go OFF if key passes test

Yes, your current keys can be add to new/used HEC/PCM pair, mobile locksmith can do that

And you can as well if you have at least TWO PATS keys for the truck now
Look at Forscan software, its not expensive
You can erase all keys and then add two back, but must add at least two, or it won't work, if try to just add 1 it won't allow it, it will just exit and no keys would be added

Dirtmcgurt88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok so more update. Found a 05 that was just like mine so I got the PCM , HEC , ignition lock cylinder and door lock cylinders , pcv valve tube , headlight switch , and multi function switch. It still does the exact same thing , just makes the washer fluid pump turn on with the key instantly. Now I don't have any other lights at all in the instrument cluster like I did before (the car with the padlock). Now my headlights will turn on via the switch but no other lights. And I still can't read the odometer. Side note the door lock cylinders will not unlock with the key. Both ignition lock cylinder with key and door lock cylinders came off the same truck as well as the PCM and HEC. Please help.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good find, the 2005 Ranger didn't have PATS, Ford skipped that one year, the only year

So you can use your original door locks and cylinder if they worked OK

If you can get a Library card you can setup an online account at the Library, need to setup a PIN at the library, its FREE
Then you can log in from home
They will have an auto repair section
It will have the wiring diagrams for ALOT of vehicles including the 2004 Ranger

Examples below

If you can find a 2004 Ranger EVTM then even better, EVTM(electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual)
Ford makes these every year for every model vehicle, and sends them out to Ford Dealer/shops
Very detailed in wiring and where all connectors are for that year
2003 or 2005 won't help you, MUST be a 2004
Look on ebay

Attachments

Dirtmcgurt88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well if I have a 04 and have PATS and the 05 model doesn't does that kinda screw with the truck or does it kinda of bypass that? The ignition lock cylinder with the key was pretty corroded inside and the little orange tab came out and I I believe on little steel strip came off. There's 2 more on it so I can't figure out where that came from so I put it back on the new one and am hoping for the best. The old door lock cylinders do unlock with the old key

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
PATS is in the HEC and PCM of the 2004, if you switched over to 2005 HEC and PCM then no more PATS, having a PATS key doesn't matter

That orange tab and steel strip read like the "key in ignition" reminder, when you open the drivers door it "dings" if key is still in the cylinder, doesn't effect anything else just the "dinger" won't remind you

And if the ignition cylinder had corrosion on it then this vehicle was totally submerged at some point in the past
So every wire and connector will need to be cleaned

Dirtmcgurt88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well another update. So far I got some more info that the SJB would need to be from the same year as the PCM and HEC. So I went back to the junkyard and grabbed the 05 SJB and installed it. And volia' the gauges activated , the odometer showed up and I heard a click probably the starter relay. So I'm extremely happy with the progress. And I'm about to pull the starter now and get it tested. Just wanted to thank y'all for the extreme amount of help. I will keep posted as I can to let everyone know hopefully the start up.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good Stuff (y):icon_cheers:

Thanks for the updates

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals