• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sons 1st Bronco

BroncoNewb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
205/75R15
Hi guys, first post here so forgive any ignorance you come across. I have an 84 2.8L Bronco2 4wd that my youngest son is begging to turn into his first high school vehicle. He loves helping me with vehicles but my knowledge is lacking.

A few questions to start:
  • He wants to lift it and put on some bigger tires (currently running 205/75/15). I was thinking either 235/75 or going up to a 31/10.50. What’s the most cost effective way to lift it? I’d like to salary around a 2” lift but would consider a 3-4”
  • Is doing a duraspark, Gm HEI conversion with it?
  • We have replaced all the spark plugs and wires, oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter, battery, and I’ve checked the alternator which is working fine (according to the voltage). Where should we start next? I should mention the bronco runs pretty well but occasionally has trouble starting.
  • Another issue I’m stumped on is occasionally while driving for a while and I go to slow down to turn off the Highway it will sometimes stall when I get back on the accelerator. There’s also an occasional hesitation when I push down the accelerator while sitting in park. What could this be? I was thinking maybe the TPS?

• I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading up in the forum so far and hope to be able to utilize the knowledge here to get this baby going for my boy. He is more excited about fixing it up than even the thought of going out and buying a new (used) vehicle for him.

vonD1025

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inch body lift
Tire Size
30”
A 2” inch body lift can get you onto 30” tires without any rubbing or having to cut anything(Supposedly it helps to change your oil pan seal getting the body lift but I have yet to test it..). If you can find someone to do it..

Probably 1,500-1,700$ if they have to remove rust. But a 3 inch lift done after you can move up to 33x12.5x15. Might have them both done at the same time to save money. Or just do a full suspension lift and go big.

You have to be careful and not over do it on the Dana 28’s. I’ve done some pretty rough trails on some bald all terrain 30’s without breaking anything haha. About to get a new set of mud terrains to see what that’s all about! I’d like to go up to a bigger size but I think it’s time for an axle swap first.

Yeah I’d swap your tps, super easy and cheap plus it doesn’t hurt to have new parts. You could also have a fuel pump going out.

vonD1025

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inch body lift
Tire Size
30”
Doesn’t look bad with that 2” body lift and has some good range to make it through a bit rougher stuff without breaking anything.
0D2D0AB7-7070-45C9-AA04-9FA95159FBDA.jpeg
BDA3A52B-AAC0-45B4-AD70-2EB51A050B1A.jpeg
D2D8CDB2-9699-40A2-8DA8-6A1398A08F64.jpeg
AC0798B0-649E-4EFC-9951-FA8E230D14F1.jpeg
D14A12C6-D288-47E5-BB11-91EC7C4B6CF8.jpeg

BroncoNewb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
205/75R15
Thanks for the reply but even more for your service!

Ive got a TPS ordered and will throw it in when it gets here.

A local body shop that does great work quoted me about $1500 for parts and install of a Rough Country 4” suspension lift. Think it’s worth it to just do that? Then I could throw some bigger tires on. I wouldn’t mind setting the tires a little wider but unsure of how to go about this and what might look nice. My boy won’t be doing a lot of off roading (wishful thinking on my part haha).

Today I’m working on tuning the carb. I’ve got it running pretty nice by ear but want to check with a vacuum gauge and tach (if I can figure out how to temporarily wire the tach (I’m learning guys so bare with me). Hooked up the vacuum gauge last night and was getting about 18 in of vacuum.

I’m going to attempt to check the timing also but I’ve never used a timing light so that should be an adventure.

vonD1025

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inch body lift
Tire Size
30”
Thanks bud! I appreciate it. Sounds about right on the price, probably be safe to get some 31’s under there without having to modify the body. Or worrying about breaking stuff on your axles. Im learning every day with this thing so I understand the feeling.

BroncoNewb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
205/75R15
I figured $1500 for the 4” suspension lift, $12-1500 for new wheels and tires. $500 for new paint (I’ll do the body work and painting myself). $100 for seat covers. $350 for new dash cover and vinyl flooring. $300 for sound system. And about $500 for other mechanical replacements/upgrades should be a good start for a boys first vehicle. Hopefully the wife will approve the roughly $4500 budget. Am I way off here or would y’all start with different upgrades?

Is it worth doing a Duraspark/Gm hei conversion and if so what’s that going to cost me?

BroncoNewb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
205/75R15
Here’s the beauty. Have to love that the kid is in love and sees the potential we can bring out.
966F3C9E-B184-4D41-B544-A4746DD2F8CD.jpeg1C0B33DF-9DDA-4E3C-B718-8E0D3FC3BBF5.jpegB907902F-53E0-44ED-A7FA-D9D1E5DAAC32.jpeg5D3E7C4F-5EA2-456D-8E85-E0E1D7DAFB99.jpeg

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Once upon a time I had Bronco that I did a rattle can camo paint job. It looked awesome. That BII would look good that way too.

BroncoNewb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
205/75R15
Maybe I should be thinking rattle can (the boy wouldn’t care) but the big eyes I have has me wanting to sand it down, body fill problem areas, prime, base coat and clear coat it. Then move on to buffing and polishing. Maybe I’m getting in over my head?! Haha

vonD1025

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inch body lift
Tire Size
30”
Yup that Bronco ii would clean up nice. 4,500$ definitely a nice way to start haha. It would put me 50% of the way on what I’d like to do to mine. Eventually an axle swap to get into some more rugged stuff with bigger tires. The v8 conversion would be awesome but probably just gunna put a 4.0 in it because it’s easier.

These things do so well stock but they are just dirty oil covered engines notorious for head gasket failure.. eventually I’d like to get my paint redone and roof rack so I can throw a hardtop tent on it and some lights. Definitely doesn’t hurt to get a winch as soon as possible. I know when I was young I used to push my luck and still do now.. frame sliders would also be nice.

BroncoNewb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
205/75R15
Sounds like you’re just a few steps ahead of us haha. He and I both have wish lists.

His list:
4in suspension lift
31 or 32 in tires
Paint
Sound system
Off road lights
That’s about the extent of his wish list.

My list:
3-4” Lift
31 or 32 in tires
Paint
Sound system
Duraspark/GM HEI conversion
New brakes/lines
New gaskets for the beefy 2.8
LED headlights
New shocks and bushings
Fix the AC
Seat Covers
New vinyl flooring
Dash cover
Get my factory tape deck working and rig up an aux cord
New center console
New front triangle type windows
Fix the broken driver side mirror
Horn

My Big Wish List:
302 V8 Swap
Dana 35 swap
New exhaust with Flowmasters
Winch/Front Bumper Replacement
I’m sure there’s more

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
WELCOME BroncoNewb,

I suspect a weak ignition coil for your starting issue. The stalling while the engine bay is hot sounds like classic ignition module issue.

Installing a suspension lift on one of these is a simple matter of removing 16 or so factory rivets (axle pivot mounts and radius arm mounts). They can be ground down on the side most accessible, drill a little pilot to further weaken the center, then punch the rest out. I installed 3 suspensions lifts on these myself; all new poly bushing, all new stainless grade 8 hardware. Though I haven't priced one in a few days, last time I did Rough Country was having Warehouse blowout. I recall it being around $400 for their full 4" system. It really is simple ..). Also, 4" without trimming the fenders will only get you about 30.5" clvear.

By the same token, for the cost savings installing a $120ish, 4" body lift that will accomidate the same 30.5" rubber, will seriously improve your budget (or pay for some quality shocks/fresh springs). I have gone both ways with the lifts; I like the road feel of the suspension lift better but fresh springs controlled by James Duff shocks with a body lift is pretty good.

BroncoNewb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
205/75R15
Thanks for the welcome and the info! Question. When you say you like the road feel better with the suspension lift can you elaborate? I’m wanting some height and bigger tires but this will mainly be a daily driver and I want it to ride as comfortable as possible.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
BroncoNewb,

I have 2 rigs:

a) 87 Ranger 4" body lift, 2" Ford High Rider kit with Skyjacker 2" front coils/STX High Rider rear packs + helpers with all poly bushings.
b) 87 BII 4" Pro Comp suspension lift, Skyjacker 4" coils, 5" custom homemade Explorer rear leaf packs, all ploy bushings

The Ranger with the combo 4" + 2" sits nice. To make the suspension come to life needs a little weight in the rear, I get this with a canopy, a BII rear fuel tank and beefier rear bumper. It has great highway manners; if your goals were keeping the tires firmly planted and reduced body lean while turning, win/win.

The negative was prior to the 70/30's it felt tippy turning.

BII with 33x13.5's on the 4" suspension is more comfortable (could be the increased weight of the BII 🙄). Same front coils with dual James Duff 70/30 shocks in the front with that REAL beefy rear pack and dual 70/30's is just how I want it to feel.

Only negatives were the cost of the lift was higher and the installation did take more effort (took me 2 days); that body lift was on in 3 hrs tops.

If my primary goal were larger rubber, body lift, no question. If I needed the most comfortable ride, 4" suspension lift. If my sole goal were safety, dual James Duff 70/30's all around with no added lift matching the most suitable tire size to the gearing for fuel economy.

Last edited:

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
This is a 14 year old rattle can job.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals