• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Something is up with my brakes and I can't figure out what.

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I had a vacuum leak in my brake booster on my 86 ranger with the 2.9 causing the idle to drop when pressing the brakes, so I replaced the brake booster. Now, the brakes are so easy to press and sensitive that I thought I had no brakes at first cause I could literally press the brakes to the floor with 1 finger no problem and I jolt to a stop any time I touch them. They are WAY too sensitive. Before I replaced it, there was a good amount of force required to press them down, nothing excessive though. Instead of dropping rpms when pressing the brakes, now they go up, plus my idle is surging pretty badly (like from struggling to run rpms to 2k) I don't know what could be causing this and if the brakes are supposed to be this touchy, I'd rather have no power brakes. I replaced it with a Cardone 54-74009. Also, I doubt it has anything to do with the rest of my brake system considering I never touched any lines when replacing the brake booster.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I think the pedal now going to the floor has everything to do with your existing brake system.

Pedal height is really determined by three things.

Master cylinder push rod length. If it's too short the pedal has to travel to get to business.

Air in the hydraulic system.

Rear brake adjustment.

What does the pedal feel like with the engine off and no power assist? The pedal should be solid with minimal travel (an inch or two).

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I think the pedal now going to the floor has everything to do with your existing brake system.

Pedal height is really determined by three things.

Master cylinder push rod length. If it's too short the pedal has to travel to get to business.

Air in the hydraulic system.

Rear brake adjustment.

What does the pedal feel like with the engine off and no power assist? The pedal should be solid with minimal travel (an inch or two).
I adjusted the push rod on the new brake booster to match how much the old one stuck out. The pedal is solid with only a little bit of travel when its off. When its on, I have barely any movement before the brakes start working, its just the fact that there is absolutely 0 resistance the entire way once the engine is running. I can't test if there's any air in the lines right now cause I'm a bit busy. Also, I noticed the push rod on the new brake booster can be pulled completely out of the brake booster easily (The rubber seal connected to it to), while on the old one, it doesn't budge when you pull on it. The entire push rod even came upside down when I got the booster.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm still guessing your rear brakes are way out of adjustment.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals