• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Some info on leveling a TIB and shocks

RangerRyan88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I just got done putting in my washer-spacer lift like what's in the tech library, with some of my own modifications from it and thought I would share some things I found out in the process.

First off, the article suggests only going about 3/4" tall with the stack since that's as much as the stock stud will allow. Personally I didn't really see the point of going through the trouble for that little difference. I had a Ranger before and bought one of the 2" poly-spacer kits that came with an extender so you could still fit the spring retainer on over everything else. But I don't have that kit anymore so I decided to make this whole kit myself, mainly just because I like building my own stuff and just to see if I could pull it off. Basically, I got the washer stack put together and JB welded (for now, I'm getting my hands on a welder in the next few days.) and started looking into how to make my own stud extenders.

This was actually a lot easier than I expected it to be, the studs (for those that don't know) are 3/4" diameter with 10 thread count. I went to Home Depot and found 24" rods (only need about 4" of it) and 2" long coupling nuts for around $7. I just used an angle grinder to cut two 2" lengths of the rod and used red Loctite to hold them 3/4" into the coupler nuts (there's a reason for that exact depth). Painted the new extenders just to protect against rust/corrosion and they're ready to go.

This is where I ran into problems. I don't know if anyone else had the same issue, but I thought I would share if you guys want to know. The install went fine, until I got to re-connecting the shocks to the lower mount on the radius arms. Driver's side went on fine, but the passenger side would not reach. I had a floorjack under the knuckle, supporting the truck's weight (theoretically the axle was at "ride height") so I knew this was a big problem. Now I needed to find some longer shocks, or take the lift off. And I was not taking the lift off!!

Now I remembered seeing the F250 shock mount article in the tech section, but didn't want to go through that just for a leveling kit, and I didn't want to spend the money on new "lift" shocks. So I started researching similar vehicles that might have longer shocks factory that mount the same way. What I found was a life saver! Turns out the factory-spec shocks from a '93 F150 mount EXACTLY the same as our Rangers (same stud sizes and all) and are about 2" longer compressed/4" longer extended (also 2" more travel :headbang: ). Part # at Napa is RR 94276 and they're $29.99 definitely a lot better than aftermarket shocks! And they actually ride way smoother than my old stock shocks did!

If you guys have any questions fire away, I'll get some pictures of the shocks and stuff in the morning when there's light and I was thinking about making a video for the install when I put in my camber bushings (tomorrow?) Anyone think it would be worth making?

Thanks for reading! :icon_hornsup:

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well I have a similar setup as you on my 4-banger. I had bought a 2'' leveling kit(not worth crap) and came with the stud extenders. I used 12 3" outside diameter washers on each side, I dont remember the total lenght that the washers made stacked together, but I got more lift than with the dang poly spacers. Probably because its similar to rubber and it squeezes down with the weight. Anywayz, the finishing result was great! and the price was unbeatable!! Check my truck here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3012692, Post some pics of your truck to see the finished result. Laters.

RangerRyan88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cool man! I actually saw your thread just before I posted this one, did you have any problem with the shock length? Even if you didn't it couldn't hurt to check out these shocks, I didn't realize how limited the stock shocks are.. Just driving to Napa I could hear my strained shocks maxing out around corners :shok: But these new ones are soo smooth and I think actually added a little MORE height since they aren't 13 years old :icon_rofl:

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Cool man! I actually saw your thread just before I posted this one, did you have any problem with the shock length? Even if you didn't it couldn't hurt to check out these shocks, I didn't realize how limited the stock shocks are.. Just driving to Napa I could hear my strained shocks maxing out around corners :shok: But these new ones are soo smooth and I think actually added a little MORE height since they aren't 13 years old :icon_rofl:
I didnt have trouble with the shocks, but ill look into them. My truck still has the factory shocks and they are still stiff, it has over 200k on th clock. That's Ford for you buddy.. :icon_cheers::icon_thumby:

RangerRyan88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Haha I guess I must have abused my shocks.. I could compress them with my bare hands :icon_confused:

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
Haha I guess I must have abused my shocks.. I could compress them with my bare hands :icon_confused:
with a hydro shock you can compress them by hand and they will stay that way, with a gas charged shock they can be very hard to compress as they are under high pressures. 150-200psi

RangerRyan88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I knew there was some difference like that.. But the old stockers would very slowly push back out after I let go so I'm assuming they were charged at some point? :dunno:

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I knew there was some difference like that.. But the old stockers would very slowly push back out after I let go so I'm assuming they were charged at some point? :dunno:
So hows the ride holding up man?:icon_thumby:

RangerRyan88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's holding up great! After the leveling and shocks, it's even smoother than before :D If I had to do it again I'd do it exactly the same!

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It's holding up great! After the leveling and shocks, it's even smoother than before :D If I had to do it again I'd do it exactly the same!
Cool! Hey so u said that the shocks from a 93 f150 fit without any problems right?:icon_confused:

RangerRyan88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cool! Hey so u said that the shocks from a 93 f150 fit without any problems right?:icon_confused:
Yup they slide right in, just make sure you leave the strap on until you get the shock installed.. (Learned that the hard way, had to jack the shock up with the floor jack :icon_rofl: ) And I didn't check if there was a difference between the drivetrains but the shocks I got were for a 4wd XLT. NAPA part number is RR 94276 :icon_thumby:

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You got any pictures of the stud extenders? I think i got a rough idea of what your saying to do. Essentially take the existing stud, put a coupler on it with 3/4 inch of stud in the coupler, then take a peice of threaded steel rod and put that in the other opening of the coupler 3/4 of an inch and your good to go?

Go for the video man. It will help me know if i'm capable of doing camber bushings myself or not. lol.

Dan

RangerRyan88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You got any pictures of the stud extenders? I think i got a rough idea of what your saying to do. Essentially take the existing stud, put a coupler on it with 3/4 inch of stud in the coupler, then take a peice of threaded steel rod and put that in the other opening of the coupler 3/4 of an inch and your good to go?

Go for the video man. It will help me know if i'm capable of doing camber bushings myself or not. lol.

Dan
Definitely man I'll probably go pop a tire off and point out the basics :icon_thumby: I know I'm a visual/hands-on learner myself so I know how much it can help to actually SEE what someone's talking about :)

RangerRyan88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, got the video made and posted, just waiting for YouTube to process it :icon_thumby: Kind of excited to actually be a contributing member of the forum haha :yahoo: (Plus I've been looking for an excuse to use that smiley)

See the video here when it's processed :headbang:

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, got the video made and posted, just waiting for YouTube to process it :icon_thumby: Kind of excited to actually be a contributing member of the forum haha :yahoo: (Plus I've been looking for an excuse to use that smiley)

See the video here when it's processed :headbang:
Jus saw your vid bro. Left the first comment:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals