• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Some good news from FoMoCo

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hopefully this is the right forum to put this in.

Today I went with my dad to the New England Auto Show in Boston, and I talked to a Ford rep for about 1 hour. I asked him what's going to happen with the Ranger, and I got some really good stuff out of him.

He said that while the Twin Cities plant is closing down (the only plant left that produces the Ranger is too old and needs major updating), Ford does indeed plan on continuing the Ranger. However, this isn't the best part. Without me asking, he mentioned that Ford is seriously considering offering a turbo diesel 4 cylinder in the Ranger (once low sulfur diesel becomes standard in 2010), as well as the Crew Cab style Rangers found in South America!

I also found out why we don't have the Crew Cab Rangers they have in South America...turns out the A pillars do not meet Federal requirements for impact safety that they do in Venezuela where they are made. However, he said Ford is working on adapting the Crew Cab to American standards and implementing a crew cab for 2010.

The redesign, he said, will be somewhat based on the concept Bronco that Ford designed a little while back. Additionally, manual locking hubs and a manual transfer case are very possible options if the demand is there.

He suggested the best thing to do was for Ranger enthusiasts to go to www.fordvehicles.com and put in the suggestion. Ford is most likely going to continue the Ranger, but they need to know the market is going to be there. He said that by all of us putting in our two cents, Ford will most definitely redesign the Ranger and give us what we want. Turns out that the reason the new TBird went into production was due to the fact that so many people emailed the Ford site that it crashed due to server overload.

At any rate, this is great news. So please, everyone, put your two cents in at the Ford site and we may have a great truck in 2010.

PS - The Ranger will not be receiving IRS, it will maintain a solid axle like the rest of the pickup truck lineup (excluding the Sport Trac).

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
That is some very good news indeed. You and the Ford rep were talking about the South American version of the Ranger. I wonder what is stopping the European version from coming to NA?? Or are they the same truck??

As I've said before, I'd buy this : http://www.ford.co.uk/ns7/ranger/-/rgr_0608_introd/-/-/-/-

Trade my 08 in a heart beat!!

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That looks like the same truck you see in the ads for South America, Mexico, etc. This is indeed great news. I've already submitted my opinion on the Ranger to the Ford website. I encourage everybody who wants to see this truck live do the same.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
As long as they don't become unibody and still have gas engines with low RPM torque like the 4.0.....oh, and a 5 speed....oh, and LOL

human5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good news indead. I've actually been looking around for a little diesel pick-up and now I can just ax that idea and wait a few years. :shout: I think 4wd should be available with every engine configuration. I don't want to be forced to buy a v6 when all I need or want is a 4cyl. It seems I should start saving up right now. I'll have to get me 1 or 2. hehe.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Ford rep mentioned that it is possible that Ford will draw influence from the European Ranger. However, since South America is in the same hemisphere, production costs will be less for them.

They won't be unibody...the Ranger is going to stay a "truck". The rep I talked to has been going to Ford's truck studios on and off and he had some good things to say. The Ranger will stay true to its rugged heritage. A powerful gas V6 will be offered, as well as a gas 4 cylinder and the turbo diesel 4 banger. Also, a manual transmission will still be an option as well as a possible 6 speed automatic.

If you want 4x4 with a 4cyl, let Ford know! Remember guys, the more people that send in suggestions the more Ford will listen to us. We need to remind them of the great following the Ranger has!

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:fie::dntknw: http://www.ford.co.uk/ie/ranger/rgr_0608_models/rgr_0608_thuauto/-/-/-/- Why is Ford so hell bent on eliminating column shifters in their vehicles with automatics? The new explorers, sport tracs, expeditions, escapes, some F-150's........and now the Rangers? If the new rangers have floor/console shifters in the next generation rangers, I might buying a Colorado instead.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
lol I actually like having a floor shifter because I like to have a more enclosed seating area. (bucket seats, center console, etc). The floor shifter makes it more likely to get just that. And you don't have to worry about anybody sitting in the middle...

mfp4073

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Even though no one believes it ford does listen to the customer base. The TBird and the mustang are 2 perfect examples. The early 90s was to be the end of the mustang and ford got so much hate mail that they dumped money into a redesign.

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
lol I actually like having a floor shifter because I like to have a more enclosed seating area. (bucket seats, center console, etc). The floor shifter makes it more likely to get just that. And you don't have to worry about anybody sitting in the middle...
Floor/console shifters are something I expect in a Honda Civic, yota-toy camry, or even a lesser truck such as the Tacoma. I like having the floor space free. Besides, how else am I going to pack all 6 of my illegal day workers in the cab with me? :D

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It's not a new idea for having a floor shifter in a Ranger. My 85 and 87 had floor shifters. I liked it but it did get in the way sometimes. Besides, what's the difference in having a floor auto shifter from a manual shifter that is also on the floor?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I sent them a comment and the generic reply I got was, "We don't plan on making a ranger with a manual shift transfer case, manual hubs or a diesel engine"

But the designers are always coming up with new ideas.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Remember, we have to demand it. Everyone should head over and put in their 2 cents. The more people they see, the more likely they will respond! Keep suggestings guys!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
2010 Ranger. 4-door crew cab, 5 speed, manual hubs/t-case, Locker in rear and an optional V8!!! (or turbo V6 diesiel ;)) could beat the Toyota shit back to japan!!! (although they are made here and fords aren't):icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals