• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Some 1991 V6 3.0 ignition coil questions

misterW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Spark tester attached to the coil isn't showing a spark.

There are two wires leading to the coil: a pink and green one, and a yellow and brown one. the pink and green one shows 12V with the ignition on and the yellow and brown one shows nothing. Is this right?

Also, attached to the bottom of the bracket supporting the coil is a small gray cylinder with a black wire leading to it. What is that gray cylinder and what should an electrical test of the black wire show?

Thanks in advance!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The pk/gr wire should be powered, the yl/br should be an intermittent ground that comes and goes as the engine is cranked. Best test of it is to hook a test light between that wire and battery + and crank the engine to see if the light flashes.

The small cylinder you reference is the RFI capacitor, it won't keep things from running, but catches the flyback voltage from the coil and keeps it off the computer and out of the radio reception. The proper test of that component is to check the resistance between the wire and ground, but I don't remember what the proper reading should be.

If you wish to replace it on the cheap all RFI capacitors going forward are backward compatible and will work. I yanked mine off an F-150 with a 5.4 3V because the 4.6 and 5.4 have them in a spot that is very easy to access and they have two.

misterW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the great information ^^. Now, as far as testing the ignition coil itself, is there a test I can do with a multimeter?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals