• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SOLVED: Max base timing advance for 1990 Ford Bronco II 2.9

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Hey there. I was wondering if the 2.9 can handle anything more than the 12 degrees base advance for a little more power? I currently have it set back to the stock 10 degrees advance so that I was able to pass CA smog and now that i have passed i was about to set it back to 12 but wanted to know if 13, 14 or maybe even 15 are possible? It may be a stupid question but I wouldn't know without asking. I live in high altitude and read somewhere that 14 is good for high altitude but it was not 2.9 specific. Any information is much appreciated!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I had mine sat higher then 12 for a while, i think 14 or so IIRC. I had to run 93 so it didnt ping and i had no power difference between that and being set at 10 where it is now

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Update. Colder MSD Sparks 37134(1IR5Y). 12 degrees advanced. Much better. Wouldn't go past that.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@A4LD_Nghtme ,
The method I was taught to identify optimal timing was on a Chevy 350. One day after performing a full tune up, I asked my mechanical mentor if there is any reason not to employ the same technique to the Rangers 2.9L. His reply was it couldn't hurt to try.

Here is the process:
• start the engine and let it warm up to normal operating temperature, then turn off the engine.
• loosen the distributor cap, disconnect the SPOUT plug.
• install a timing light and a vacuum gage.
• start the engine and power all electrical loads that are normally on, example lights, stereo a/c.
• advance the timing until the vacuum reaches the highest value, once at the highest level of vacuum, if the timing is advanced more the vacuum gage's needle will first flutter, then the value will begin to decrease.
• retard the timing to less than the max value, then again advance the timing to just before the previously observed Max value.
• turn off the loads, turn off the engine, reconnect the spout and secure the distributor cap.

This is the optimal timing for the best performance and fuel economy. I will advice that with increased timing there is increased heat to control. Ensure your cooling system is 100% and I recommend the use of an oil cooler to give an extra cooling potential to your engine.

While I didn't measure the output on a Dyno, I observed improved fuel economy, throttle response with overall improved engine power during acceleration and on inclines.

The other thing worth noting is that the vacuum with the manufacturer's recommended timing was around 17 but when set for optimum vacuum it was 28. I don't remember what the timing advance value was/is as I adapted this timing method for all my 2.9's from there on out.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals