• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SOLVED(ISH) - 89 Bronco II sway bar bushing mystery

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Swapping out the sway bar bushings on my 89 BII. The bar to frame bushings that are sold for the 89 BII are all too short. The ones for sale are around 2 11/16 inches high (bracket height) and mine is around 3 3/8 inches high. The part number is E97A-5484-AB. I can't find any polyurethane versions of this bushing and only a few rubber ones.

Just for poops and giggles I looked at some 1990 bushings and most of those where taller ones, but none that I can find are a direct replacement for E97A-5484-AB. Looks like I will have to take a gamble with these.

Anyone know whats going on? Did they use a 90's sway bar on my 89? Back to the future style?

Forgot to mention the hole is around an inch in diameter...maybe a 1/16th over that. Hard to tell with all the wear on a 31 year old bushing.

Last edited:

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Called MOOG and the K8690 bushing is darn close on all dimensions - just a little taller. Might try those. I'll post up a solution when I find it, I can't be the only one with this issue.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm on my phone so going by memory.
B2 front sway bars are 1 1/16", they are thicker than all rangers other than the hi-riders. I'm not sure about the different depth of the bushings but I have a pic that is somewhere in one of the articles on sway bars. In the pic I compare 3 different bars and show the bushings and bushing brackets. Perhaps you can find that pic and it might help.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
I'm on my phone so going by memory.
B2 front sway bars are 1 1/16", they are thicker than all rangers other than the hi-riders. I'm not sure about the different depth of the bushings but I have a pic that is somewhere in one of the articles on sway bars. In the pic I compare 3 different bars and show the bushings and bushing brackets. Perhaps you can find that pic and it might help.
Didn't think to look in the articles...on it now Batman

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Found the article...awesome stuff! So yeah, the bushing hole is around 1 1/16" like you said (although I got closer less than a 16th but who knows). However, all of the available bushings I have found with that diameter hole are 2 11/16ish high (depending if you measure the lip of course). According to my research on what is available on the market, you only get 3+ inch height of bushings in the 1990 BIIs and Rangers. Of course just because that is what is sold doesn't mean that is what was available as we all know. If someone knows of something that's on the market to solve my issue, let me know.

I am going to take the inch diameter Mood bushing from a 90 BII and see how she fits. Better smaller hole than larger I am thinking.

I wonder if someone swapped a 90 sway bar into my 89 at some point. I love the mystery of figuring out old rigs!

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
The Moog 8690 bushings arrived and they are just about identical. Definitely a solution if you find yourself with an 89 bronco II with the high bushings.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals