• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SOLVED: G101 Ground wire disconnected. What does it go to?

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
While chasing down a code 41 that I've just about had it with, I was tracing wires and vaccum lines when I noticed the Ground wire to RH fender near the battery leads to nothing. Does anyone know what this grounds? The wire is still ground to the fender but doesnt lead anywhere. In my vac and electrical book it's labeled as G101 but doesn't explain any more than that. I'll attach photos.

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That might be the body ground from the negative battery terminal. Look at some of the pages in your EVTM that show the battery/charging/starting systems and see if that ground is on those pages.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Usually there are 4 main grounds
Battery negative to engine, usually starter motor bolt or block, larger ground cable, ground for starter motor and alternator

If there is a 2nd smaller battery negative wire it goes to metal inner fender to ground relays, and it will have a jumper ground to Rad support for head lights and horn ground

Then a ground strap from engine head(rear) to Firewall, main ground for cab electrics

Then sometimes a ground strap from block to frame, but there can be a ground strap under cab to frame, frame ground is for tail lights and often for fuel pump, but it can be grounded in cab as well

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Usually there are 4 main grounds
Battery negative to engine, usually starter motor bolt or block, larger ground cable, ground for starter motor and alternator

If there is a 2nd smaller battery negative wire it goes to metal inner fender to ground relays, and it will have a jumper ground to Rad support for head lights and horn ground

Then a ground strap from engine head(rear) to Firewall, main ground for cab electrics

Then sometimes a ground strap from block to frame, but there can be a ground strap under cab to frame, frame ground is for tail lights and often for fuel pump, but it can be grounded in cab as well
That might be the body ground from the negative battery terminal. Look at some of the pages in your EVTM that show the battery/charging/starting systems and see if that ground is on those pages.
Ok I found the page for G101. It seems to be ground for s103(park/turn lamps and headlamps) but also shows ground to o2 sensor, maf rabs etc. I just gotta figure out where to reconnect this thing and see if I notice a difference since all light were already working. I attached the page

Attachments

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Also, the black/white and light green/black wires are connected. The main battery negative cable runs down to the rh frame to ground and also runs to the under side of the engine which I assume is the starter motor ground. Hopefully someone knows where to put this cable or can check they're ranger or bii for confirmation. I'd hate to pay aamco for a bunch of stuff I could get done

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
In the EVTM "S" indicates a splice, which is multiple wires connected together. Look in the Locator section in back of the EVTM for a description for where to find S103.

While you're in there, it'd be a good idea to find and check S107. It's important for the EEC and some sensors.

I've found these splices on older Rangers as a bare metal butt-style terminal crimped over the multiple wires, under tape insulation. Check that they're clean and tight- and no bubba boogery or green rust.

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
From doing some research, the ground wire from batt neg should go first to the battery-to-frame ground in order to ground the frame. At this point on the frame, the same wire that heads further down to the engine ground is bare at its contact points with the frame to not only make a ground to Frame but to also allow the wire I found to be spliced in with it to ground the body of the vehicle. So right now my body isn't grounded, which im certain could be causing various issues with the other grounds.

I'll consider this solved. Now back to code 41 which I hope to solve before Monday, otherwise aamco can get me back to working order or at the very least a straight diagnostic so I can fix all myself which I'd prefer

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You need to make sure the ground issue is fixed before working on the other issue. The ground problem can affect the other.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
You need to make sure the ground issue is fixed before working on the other issue. The ground problem can affect the other.
Absolutely agreed.

Lack of ground is the root of a lot of electrical evil.

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Oddly enough the only thing regrounding G101 seemed to fix was my windshield wiper washer pump. It wouldn't spray before and now it does, so I am happy about that! I also, did a 30 someodd mile drive yesterday and no check engine light came on for once(yes the bulb works). Im not convinced code 41 is fixed though because after i initially started driving it again, the check engine light came on after about 12 miles, later on on my way back home it didnt come back on and has been off since. Still having some power issues like the code 41 gave though and my tachometer reads too high(inaccurately) drops to zero and then starts working properly so I'm not sure what's going on. Now it feels like a fuel filter

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals