• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Solved: 01 ranger Intermittent high idle in park or while at stoplight-2 different rangers- 3.0 -may be a ranger pattern

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My other 2000 ranger 3.0 i had it from 64k miles, to 525k miles.....this 01 ranger I got it with 220k miles, it now has 325k miles....i have some exp w rangers, though not a mechanic per se....both trucks 3.0......i had noticed on the old truck that sometimes if i moved, touched, or jostled that taped area where the grouping of wires for IAC, TPS, DPFE,ECT etc come together, that the engine idle would change, usually going higher.....i never pinpointed the actual problem at that time but i did notice that the idle was always either normal, or around 200 rpm too high, ............it got to a point where if i noticed it high while at a stoplight, i could get out of the truck , nudge that grouping of wires and the idle would drop to normal.....jump a few years ahead to now, i noticed my current ranger doing the same thing, I said to myself i have to pinpoint which wire is causing this, and i did.....its the top wire on the TPS pigtail, a red and grey wire if I'm not mistaken....its a little dirty and my eyes aren't great but I'm pretty sure its red and grey......im gonna replace the pigtail but in the meantime , i pulled over into a parking lot when idle went high, opened hood, gently moved the red and grey wire a hair til the idle went normal, then i wedged the tiny sharp end of a toothpick into the hole on the back of the pigtail where that wire goes in so the wire / contact/connection cant move around......the high idle was happening when that contact/connection wasn't perfect.........since I've wedge the piece of toothpick into the wire hole to keep the wire still(not moving), the idle hasn't jumped up one time and the truck is running great......not sure what info is transmitted thru that wire, or to where, but that was 100% my problem, and if my two rangers had the same problem how many others have this issue and don't know it , hence my post......only extra thing to add is both trucks had pigtails that had broken clip on tabs to lock them in but they both fit on normal and well as many do with similar broken clip etc......BUT I often wonder if people damage them more pushing them on harder BCUZthey have the broken side clip .....

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Grey/red is the common or negative 5 v supply wire. It's negative for lots of different sensors, it has a splice down in the harness. The other wires on the TPS are the brown/white which is the 5v supply, and the grey/white which is the signal wire from the tps to the computer.

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just an update....with toothpick wedged no high idle jump for a few weeks, then one day it went high, i pulled over, removed toothpick, nudged the wire a hair, the idle went down, inserted toothpick, everything good, had the pigtail replaced a few days later, been perfect since

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The problem is the pins in the connector are just crimped on. They need to be soldered on. Over the years the heat cycling causes the connection to become intermittent.

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The problem is the pins in the connector are just crimped on. They need to be soldered on. Over the years the heat cycling causes the connection to become intermittent.
I bought and had installed a new pigtail do you think that one is not soldered also ? is there a chance a new part/pigtail is better/soldered ? or you think still crimped?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals