• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Solid Rear Window versus Sliding Rear Window - Sizing?

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi All,

I just acquired a 2001 Ranger Edge with the regular cab. It came with a solid rear window. I would like to have a sliding rear window installed. I called Safelite to get a quote (~$305).

When I called Gerber, they told me the solid rear window is physically bigger than the sliding rear window and the slider is not big enough to fit in the opening for the solid one. :icon_confused:

Um, is that true? In my research, here and on the web, I've never even seen that possibility mentioned. Did the Gerber rep have no clue? Also, I stopped at a Gerber location, close to my house. They told me they don't do glass and didn't even look at the truck. So, I have no recourse, with Gerber, other than to call the 877 number.

TIA, Dave.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Ive never had an issue swapping a full window for the slider. Size should be the same as long as you have the right window type. The single cabs up until 1997 that ive had seem to have only a gasket fit window with no bolts and it is smaller than the full size rear windows in the extended cab through 1997 and the the rest of the Rangers starting in 1998.

You should have the rear window with the bolts. Go find one in a junkyard and put it in yourself. Really easy pull back some trim you dont even have to remove the trim and then unbolt and pry out the solid and fit the slider.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Um, my research indicates that the bolt-in rear windows are found in the extended cabs. And, the regular cabs use just the gasket to hold the window in place.

Here's a bolt-in install 'How To' from this site (LINK). That's clearly an extended cab.

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Supercab windows from 93 and up are 100% interchangeable and Single cabs from 98+ are the same as well.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Also, I stopped at a Gerber location, close to my house. They told me they don't do glass and didn't even look at the truck.
Sounds like I wouldn't trust Gerber to know what they are talking about.

Plum just posted the rest of what I was trying to verify. Will add for future searchers that regular cab windows 83-97 are interchangable but will not fit extended cabs or later model regular cabs.

If you decide to do it your self you will need butyl tape to seal it. If I am remembering what I read you can get it either at a glass business or from the dealer. You could probably order it online as well, I think it is 3/8" diameter from what I was just reading.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
PlumCrazy said:
Supercab windows from 93 and up are 100% interchangeable and Single cabs from 98+ are the same as well.
When you say "interchangeable" do you mean from one super cab to another super cab or from any Ranger to any Ranger?

This is where I thought the bolt-in thing came into play Super cab <==> Super cab (bolt in) and Regular cab <==> Regular cab (non-bolt in).

Considering that both a local glass installer AND Safelite use Carlite (the only choice for Rangers because there is no after-market supplier), I am starting to think that Gerber is not knowledgeable.

And, no, this is not something I wish to tackle myself. I'm willing to do lots of things but I would prefer that something like this be done by a pro (that's just me).

I called my local Ford dealer and spoke with the Parts Manager (a person who I trust) and he told me there's only one choice for the sliding rear window (no size questions). Interestingly, his data indicates that all 2001 Rangers came with a sliding rear window (which I find strange as I remember it being either optional or part of the XLT/STX package). :icon_confused:

Anyway, the original question seems to have been lost in the shuffle; there's only one size rear window, right?

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
up to 1997 the single cabs had a gasket set rear window and at that different size. The extended cabs 93-97 had a bolt in with tar gasket rear window. 1998 and up single cab as well as extended cab all have the bolt in with tar gasket rear window.

Bolt in window swaps with bolt in window single cab to extended cab. Ive used a 1993 extended bolt in window in a 1998 single cab with the bolt in window. Ive used the solid rear bolt in I removed from the 1998 and its been in a 1995 extended cab and a 1997. Ive pulled a 2001 single cab bolt in window and fit it to a 1997 extended cab.

You pretty much cant use the single cab rear windows from anything 1997 and older. Those are gasket fit only. The windows are already gobbed with the tar gasket sealer and you most likely will not have to buy or use anything extra if you pull one from another Ranger. All the tar will come off with the window. Its honestly a 15-20 minute job you can do yourself.

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Basically...as long as it is not an 83-97 Single cab..it will fit your Edge.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
bigmark303 said:
up to 1997 the single cabs had a gasket set rear window and at that different size....
After having a conversation with a supervisor at Gerber, I'm guessing that this is what their "system" is expecting (even though my Ranger is newer). She did tell me that they purchase their data from an outside source (All Data?) and are updated every 6 months or so.

As I said previously, every other installer or the dealer says I have one choice (if I want something new); Carlite that's tinted.

I know it sounds easy but I would prefer to have a lifetime warranty on leaks, etc. That gives me some piece of mind (and allows me to prepare to do other things like, Class III hitch, change plugs/wires, change water pump, do cam synch & CPS......).

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like I wouldn't trust Gerber to know what they are talking about.

Plum just posted the rest of what I was trying to verify. Will add for future searchers that regular cab windows 83-97 are interchangable but will not fit extended cabs or later model regular cabs.

If you decide to do it your self you will need butyl tape to seal it. If I am remembering what I read you can get it either at a glass business or from the dealer. You could probably order it online as well, I think it is 3/8" diameter from what I was just reading.

just get a caulking gun and a tube of urethane found at most auto parts stores.. you will never have any leaks with urethane.. my bolt in slider in my 94 was originally installed with urethane seriously it only takes 15 to 20 min to do. probably wont even break the old window when taking it out....

edman1000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'm confused, I got a '96 Reg cab solid window and I just acquired a slider How do i tell what kind it is. The guy told me it was for a 83-96...so I'm assuming he didnt know what he's talking about. Are the 83-92's the same? Anyway, it was free so I took it. now I just got to figure out if it will work and how to install it.

...sorry to thread hi-jack

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do they look the same?

If you have a '96, then is is not the window that's held in by 8 studs (based on what I've read and been told).

The window that fits in a 1993 and newer extended cab will fit in a 1998 and newer regular cab.

From what I understand, a 1996 regular cab window is held in-place only by the outer sealing gasket.

Do you know the cab style of the freebie window you were given?

Pictures might help.

edman1000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Appreciate the help... There's no studs (Or holes for studs) on the slider which makes me think it'll work. I'll measure them and grab a pic tonight.

flatlandertoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a '97 Regular cab with solid rear window (gasket install).
I bought a slider (bolt-in) from a '96 Extended cab - I failed to do enough research before making that purchase.
Does anyone know what modifications would be needed to my truck in order to make use of this sliding unit?
I also need some advice about removing the solid window without breaking it.
Any info will be appreciated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals