• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Softest, most pleasant to shoot .380?

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know two ladies that daily carry a Bersa .380 Thunder using Corbon DPX ammo and they love them. They both have put untold rounds through them without any jam issues. The specs on that ammo is 11"-18" of soft tissue penetration through 4 layers of 10 oz denim barrier, 80 grain, 1050 fps/196 ftlbs. I wouldn't want to take a hit from one of them, I don't think it would buff out too easy.

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
My very petite daughter carries a Ruger lc9 and it honestly is a nice shooting gun for it's size. The recoil is very manageable. I've never shot a .380 so I can't compare but she would rather shoot that over my cz p10c.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am notorious in my despising of .380 . It combines the worst of the cals on either side , with no upsides .

If you want any effective gun in that size envelope , there are a plethora of polymer frame subcompact 9x19 available . Any of them would be better than any .380acp .
Any gun is an effective gun. Getting shot sux, and the eminent threat of getting shot makes people's knees go loose. The report (love that use of the word) is both a deterrent and an alarm to bring the police. That's the first thing.

The next thing is, it isn't a civilian's job to stop a bad guy. It's a civilian's job to protect themselves. Any gun will defter or deflect a threat and help you escape the situation. It's the police who HAVE to engage and stop the bad guy. I'm good with shooting the bad guy a whole bunch of times with a .22 and getting out of there.

The last thing is, a 9x19 in a tiny pistol is a stoopid weapon. My carry weapon is a Nano. With the standard flush magazine, it's unwieldy to shoot. It's not a super-tiny 9mm, but it's still pretty bad. With the 8-round extension, it's pretty good for an experienced shooter. It's still light and violent, but you can control it just fine. Nowhere near as good as a 92, not even close.

Even the LCP 380 is a tough weapon for some people. Pretty ferocious bark for a tiny little piece of plastic and steel.

You need to be able to whip it out and hit with it. Whatever it is. That's the first thing, period. Period.

Best weapons for someone that needs defense but isn't interested in guns: Browning Buck Mark or Ruger Mark IV.

It is the hits that count. And with either of those, anyone can hit a lot.

Even for home defense. Being terrified of pulling the trigger on a 12 gauge will make your 120# wife miss. Give her something she can enjoy shooting and be good at. She can hit with it. It's the hits that count.

I carried a Beretta Bobcat for 20 years because I was only worried about protecting myself. I can whip it out and hit a pie plate with all 7 rounds in a few seconds. Then, with all these shooting on the rise, I began to think a little. I was in the Marine Corps for 10 years. I carried a 357 and 870 for 3 of them as a duty weapon, and an M16 and M92, variously for the other 7. I started thinking, though, that if I was sitting in line to drop my kids off at school and something happened, and all I had was my little Bobcat, how would I feel. With all these thousands of rounds and hours of combat shooting training and some amateur jackass shows up and starts shooting kids--and I don't have a real weapon? That's different. I have much more training than the police do. And a range in my yard...I keep up. So this is the part where I start to agree with you.

Now I see the need for a round that can drop people. But I still want to carry it all the time. So I got the Nano. I like my 1911 more, and it's the first weapon I shot in the marine Corps. But to have it all the time, you need something like the Nano. And I got the Nano extended magazines so I can grab it and shoot it without having to juggle it around to find the place in your hand where it needs to be. Muscle memory can't be achieved unless the gun fits your hand. The Beretta Bobcat has a great grip and you can immediately index it. Great gun for your girls.

But I also carry a Ruger PC-9 in my truck. If I would get an extra second to grab it, I would use that. I carry a shotgun, too. But you can just pour rounds into a target with the PC-9. A little firehose of death for the bad guys.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I picked up one those Berettas last summer at an estate sale. I think it's cool, it's a Jetfire. Had to look around some for the shells, found some at a old country hardware store and got a couple extra clips

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I would suggest a different caliber like a 9mm Sig p365 but.... If you want a good .380 I would suggest either a Bersa 380 thunder (spectacular customer service and cheaper end of the spectrum) or a .380 Walther ppk and if you want to take a walk on the дикой стороне Get a PMM 9x18 makarov or the polish equivalent.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
My wife carries a Sig Sauer .380 and she's very accurate with it. No issues. It was a trade-in she bought very slightly used and was dipped in pink and black cammo. It's purty. Actually I'm more accurate with it than my 9mm.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My favorite gun is the GSG-16. I've got a holographic sight on it. It's a 22. Can't jam. 190ft# muzzle energy with CCI Stingers. But you can't miss and you can POUND Stingers into someone. Just snap hits into them. My backyard range is 30 yards. 22 rounds mags, all of them into the head of the silhouette. Not a challenge.

If you are more accurate with a 380, get a 380. We had to recite that My Rifle thing in boot camp 30+ years ago.

"I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...
My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count."

Hits. Hit him once, he can't hit you back. Hit him alot.

When the crap hits the fan, the main thing is to be able to effect the enemy. All this stuff about stopping power is bull. You need to effect the enemy. Stop him from doing what he is doing. Hit him.

luis6RM

Reaction score
Captain Ledd, if it would be a night hunting, or even evening - I would also recommend a night vision scope, or a thermal one. Few months ago, my good old friend gave me a model AGM Protector TM75-384 for some night hunt testing, which I also found here ( on this website: https://www.agmglobalvision.com/thermal-imaging ). And what I can say - it's one of the best manufacturers of thermal vision equipment.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Captain Ledd, if it would be a night hunting, or even evening - I would also recommend a night vision scope, or a thermal one.
+1

No .380 is complete with out a night or thermal scope.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals