• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Softest, most pleasant to shoot .380?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
What are some of your experiences with .380's for comfort/fun shooting? They cannot be harsh shooting or difficult to wield (yes, even though it's a .380, I know), I gotta make this a good experience. Some in particular I keep seeing is the CZ83 and SIG238(?).

My girlfriend was looking at getting a gun, not to carry, but to have in the house next to her bed and just to have with her (and also doing some recreational shooting).

She's shot a few guns before, no pistols though, and didn't care for the kick. Though there probably was probably a little bit of "hey, let's give the newbie girl the big gun and laugh that she can't handle it" going on. So she left with a bruised shoulder and some slightly sour thoughts on the experience, but thankfully still has an interest. :icon_thumby:

I checked out a CZ83 in one of the local shops, and I was impressed how well it fit my hand. Regardless of what she picks, I might go pick one of those up for myself lol.

Opinions? stories? ones to avoid? I imagine most of the smaller and super-small poly-framed ones wouldn't be much good.

I be open to hear some remarks about .32 ACP as well. Remember, we're not carrying, and we're not expecting coked-up insurgents with body armor. We're talking a very unlikely minor thug(or thugs), at hallway/room length.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My grandpa has a Davis.

IMO it is a gun to shoot once or twice at close range and then throw in a river. Tiny grip, godawful loud. I am pretty sure I can throw it more accurately than I can shoot it. And thus ends my .380 experience. :icon_thumby:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Get a Glock 19. I am biased though; G17 (current EDC), had a G26 and looking to get a G19. All are 9mm. 380 has the same projectile as 9mm but it has a shorter case length and less powder. Your choice, your gun, your ammo and most importantly your money.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Get a Glock 19. I am biased though; G17 (current EDC), had a G26 and looking to get a G19. All are 9mm. 380 has the same projectile as 9mm but it has a shorter case length and less powder. Your choice, your gun, your ammo and most importantly your money.
Well, hers actually. But I'm sure we'll at least check out the Glocks.

I'm familiar with projectile differences, I suggested a .380 to her because it's still more than plenty to take someone out but not super powerful. Remember, we're going for comfort and a good confidence-building shooting experience here.

Besides, .380 was good enough for James Bond lol. Both WW1 and consequently WW2 were started by a .380 as well.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
James Bond is english so he does not know any better first off. WW1 and 2 were both started by Germany so there is that. 9mm has a little more ass behind it like Nikki Minaj. Well she has a lot more ass but you get my point. 9mm is plentiful and cheap to shoot.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
My wife wanted a gun for similar a reason when I was out of town. We ended up getting a 357 Magnum. She learned to shoot it with 38 ammo and used the same when practicing. She is thin woman and that worked for her very well. After she got used to the gun she tried it with a magnum round and preferred the 38 rounds. I got some safety ammo for her to load at home so if she did have to use it, she would take out a neighbor by accident.
I don't know anything about the .380 and have no recommendations on it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Besides, .380 was good enough for James Bond lol. Both WW1 and consequently WW2 were started by a .380 as well.
9mm Luger had a hand in WWII if you want to get all historical too. I have never shot one though.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
All I was going with that was Archduke Ferdinand and his wife were both killed by a .380, one bullet each. Which is generally agreed that event set in motion WWI. And WWII happened from the subsequent aftermath of WWI.

Drew03cmc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
We have a 9mm Taurus PT111 in the house. It is easy to shoot for she and I, ammo is cheap and recoil isn't bad enough to warrant going smaller.

masanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Don't get louder, improve your argument.
I had a Bersa Thunder .380 for a while. It had a great grip and was pleasant to shoot. It has a fixed barrel and is accurate in the right hands.

2000 Ranger XLT 2.5 4x2 MT

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
We have a 9mm Taurus PT111 in the house. It is easy to shoot for she and I, ammo is cheap and recoil isn't bad enough to warrant going smaller.
I have one of these also. Has been my daily carry sence.
For under $300. With a box of ammo you can't go wrong.
The long trigger pull takes a little getting use to, but has a short reset..

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I ended up picking up a CZ83 after all. It's a little snappier than I expected, but that could also be because I haven't shot it much and get that spring broken in a little bit.

Strangely enough, my full frame S&W M&P .45 is actually one of the softest, most pleasant of everything I have. It's a shame it's so giant though.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know this is old. But the 380 is my favorite round. I was in the field artillery, and I was a marine Security Guard. I carried a 357, a 9mm and 45 acp in various jobs. I fired 105mm and 155mm howitzers in combat. We also used M2 50s and MK19s and the old M60E3. And the M249. Just saying--not jittery around large calibers. A Super-8 Red Bag is like a 40# box of spaghetti that re-arranges your internal organs when it goes off.

The thing I like about the 380 is that it is on the list of effective rounds. It is a large enough diameter, and is going fast enough, that it is the minimum round of ammunition to get the job done. It does the job. 22lr, 25 and 32--those don't.

I carried a Beretta Bobcat for 20 years. Then I saw the study that said the 380 was the least round. So I bought a 380 and carry that.

I have a rifle in 380, a Hi-Point. I shoot Corbon through it. It has a red-dot scope.

I have a range through my yard. We run through it and shoot every day.

To eat, you run and shoot.

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you didn't build it; it's not really yours
Funny about the .380. I have a Makarov that is a joy to shoot. I also have a Beretta 85 that is a little "sharp" and not nearly as pleasant.
The Makarovs are great little guns and can be had fairly cheaply...
Yeah, old thread but you never know.. My daughter carries a Sig Sauer in .380 that is pretty good too.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Hi-Point 380 carbine is a strange thing. I have a Sight Mark red dot sight on it, and a Stream Light flashlight with a switch on the forearm. More money in the accessories than the gun.

Such an awesome carbine, though. You can see the bullets fly out with normal ammo. Totally reliable--like a staple gun. About as loud and with as much recoil. You can just snap bullets into whatever you see the dot in the scope is on. No recoil. Maybe the 380 lacks in what you think of as stopping power. Just snap 10 rounds into them. No recoil. No wait for the sights to drop back down onto the target.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals