• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) So.... Still Need Help..... Freezing My Thighs Off Every Time I Drive

DCman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P205/75-R14
Alrighty guys, and suggestions as to why Rudy's heater decided to randomly desire to not work anymore?
I usually can laugh it off but this morning my thighs literally felt like some nice Round cuts of meat...
that just got pulled out of an ESKIMO'S DEEP FREEZER
....ughhhh.... please help me be warm in my beloved truck once again
If the coolant level is ok, try warming up your truck with the air selector in the recirculate mode...i.e., instead bringing fresh COLD air through the heater core and into the cab, you just recirculate the air that's already in the cab.
I had a similar problem with an '89 Mazda truck I used to own. I made a winter front for the radiator from a piece of cardboard covered in duct tape and left like 1/2" of the top exposed and it still took forever to warm up in the winter....any other time of the year, it was fine.
One day I was looking at the heater controls and noticed I had it in fresh air mode, so I moved it over to recirculate and tossed the winter front.
Solved that problem, right then and there.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I did try putting the foam insulation over the heater hoses and it does help some.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If the coolant level is ok, try warming up your truck with the air selector in the recirculate mode...i.e., instead bringing fresh COLD air through the heater core and into the cab, you just recirculate the air that's already in the cab.
I had a similar problem with an '89 Mazda truck I used to own. I made a winter front for the radiator from a piece of cardboard covered in duct tape and left like 1/2" of the top exposed and it still took forever to warm up in the winter....any other time of the year, it was fine.
One day I was looking at the heater controls and noticed I had it in fresh air mode, so I moved it over to recirculate and tossed the winter front.
Solved that problem, right then and there.
Problem is it's a Ford, and Ford doesn't believe in the need for the recirculate mode :). I have several, nothing has a recirculate...

massacre

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
To the OP
Is the coolant temp gauge showing normal temps?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Problem is it's a Ford, and Ford doesn't believe in the need for the recirculate mode :). I have several, nothing has a recirculate...
No, it is there, you just have to know how to access it.

MAX AC on a full heat setting is functionally recirc heat.

DCman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P205/75-R14
Thank you adsm. I never use that side of the dial.
Makes sense, if you think about it.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
racsan
I owned a Pinto with a 2.3 and lived in Cleveland for a couple years... I know winter and it got cold. The heater worked. If you are not getting enough heat, then something is wrong.

The most common thing is a clogged heater core, but you replaced yours. Is it possible the new core does not flow as it should? When the engine is warmed up, both hoses should be too hot to keep touching with bare hands. Neither should have any significant temperature difference.
The next possibility is an air bubble. The system must be bled of air, and it will easily trap air in the heater hoses. To bleed the system the hoses must be manipulated to let the air all get to the 'high point' in the system, and then allowed to be purged by opening the system at that point, until coolant flows out.
Adding an 'air dam' to block flow over the radiator is usually an indication of a thermostat that is not working as it should. Coolant will not flow through the radiator until the thermostat opens, well, it should not. You can feel the upper radiator hose when the engine is warming up, and it should stay COLD until all of a sudden the thermostat opens. If it warms up gradually, then the thermostat is allowing coolant flow prior to reaching temperature, and that is not correct.
tom

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
No, it is there, you just have to know how to access it.

MAX AC on a full heat setting is functionally recirc heat.
Interesting, that's only an option on my F350 but it has blend door issues currently... my two explorers have the fancier vent system that doesn't give the operator control of such things, just fan speed, temperature and zones... Neither Ranger has A/C

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
2.3s have terrible heat to begin with. They are waaaay overbuilt and take forever to warm up so I'd be inclined to make sure that it's simply not a case of the engine not being hot enough to make heat before tearing too much into it.

Like unclegump said check coolant first. Then once the truck is hot, turn heat on full blast and feel the heater hoses. Both should be hot, if only one is hot the heater core may be plugged or the control valve may be stuck (if you have one).

Also could be the blend door, I'm not 100% sure if they used the electronic blend door in 97 but the 98-2011 rangers had a notorious problem for the blend door motors failing. No blend door means no heat.
I had blend door issues with my 97 ranger. Ended up having to replace it.

DCman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P205/75-R14
Interesting, that's only an option on my F350 but it has blend door issues currently... my two explorers have the fancier vent system that doesn't give the operator control of such things, just fan speed, temperature and zones... Neither Ranger has A/C
My Ranger doesn't have AC either, but it does have that option on the heater controls.....

...its like adsm says. It's just Ford's way of labeling the "recirculate air" feature on the Ranger in those years.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
My ranger(85) came without A/C. But it did/does have a flap internal that would close off outside air. When it closed, it could open to re-circ mode if the plastic had been cut. I cut the plastic, so it can draw internal air, recirc mode, when the flap is set to the non-vent position. Did that when I added A/C, but never had the need for recirculation for heating purposes.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals