• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) So.... Still Need Help..... Freezing My Thighs Off Every Time I Drive

SadieJ709

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
None
Alrighty guys, and suggestions as to why Rudy's heater decided to randomly desire to not work anymore?
I usually can laugh it off but this morning my thighs literally felt like some nice Round cuts of meat...
that just got pulled out of an ESKIMO'S DEEP FREEZER
....ughhhh.... please help me be warm in my beloved truck once again

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
First thing to do is ensure your coolant level is full.

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Random could be low coolant. Low coolant could be a leak, or worse case a blown headgasket/cracked head.

Be careful removing the radiator cap. Best to do that when the engine is cold. Hot, scalding coolant in your face is never good.

-Give the coolant a sniff. Combustion gas in the coolant has a distinct, acrid odor. Once you rule that out, look for leaks...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
2.3s have terrible heat to begin with. They are waaaay overbuilt and take forever to warm up so I'd be inclined to make sure that it's simply not a case of the engine not being hot enough to make heat before tearing too much into it.

Like unclegump said check coolant first. Then once the truck is hot, turn heat on full blast and feel the heater hoses. Both should be hot, if only one is hot the heater core may be plugged or the control valve may be stuck (if you have one).

Also could be the blend door, I'm not 100% sure if they used the electronic blend door in 97 but the 98-2011 rangers had a notorious problem for the blend door motors failing. No blend door means no heat.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm a victim of blend door failure on my 06... it failed the day before my trip to deer camp Thanksgiving week. Not exactly sure if it is a failsafe position for blend door actuator but mine failed in full heat position.

I have a new blend door actuator in the garage... but since it's stuck on heat... I will probably wait until spring to change it.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
A dying thermostat can also result in low heat. With the engine cold, start it up, and check the temperature of the upper radiator hose, the one from the thermostat housing to the upper tank. It should be cold, and remain cold. When the coolant in the block reaches 190-ish, the thermostat should open and the hose all of a sudden start to heat up.
IF the hose starts heating slowly as the engine warms up, it is allowing coolant flow. It should restrict flow until operating temperature is reached. Many times thermostats will fail 'softly', in that condition they will not pull the 'damper' closed all the way to restrict flow, but will have a gap, even when cold, and allow coolant to flow.
If you have that problem, replace with a brand thermostat. Motorcraft, Stant, Robertdshaw, AC-Delco, and good brand. No point in replacing with one from Bob's Pizza and Thermostats as they will work as good as the pizza likely tastes...
Keep the coolant at a 50:50 mix with clean drinking water and it will work better and last longer.
Having a working thermostat will also improve fuel mileage over that achieved with a failing stat. The engine will get hot faster and maintain a stable temperature with a good functional thermostat.
tom

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'm a victim of blend door failure on my 06... it failed the day before my trip to deer camp Thanksgiving week. Not exactly sure if it is a failsafe position for blend door actuator but mine failed in full heat position.

I have a new blend door actuator in the garage... but since it's stuck on heat... I will probably wait until spring to change it.
Definitely not a failsafe position, mine failed on full cold lol. I think they just die in whatever position they were in last.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My wife's explorer failed in full heat, which really confuses things with the auto temperature setting mess higher end Explorers had... I really should dig into that...

My '97 only has good usable heat output above 50F outside temperature, I've been meaning to dig into that too... probably has something to do with the heater core on mine.

On yours I think they're right, either heater control valve (It's over the exhaust manifold if you have one) or blend door being it changed suddenly.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Definitely not a failsafe position, mine failed on full cold lol. I think they just die in whatever position they were in last.
So you've fixed it I take it... how bad was it to do?

I looked at for a minute and there is like zero room... did you have to roll the dash to get at it. Did you also have to replace the door itself?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
So you've fixed it I take it... how bad was it to do?

I looked at for a minute and there is like zero room... did you have to roll the dash to get at it. Did you also have to replace the door itself?
Yea I did it several years ago. It's not horrinle to replace just extremely tight. If you got big hands you're screwed.

just drop the glove box door, cover your hands in KY, and get in there with the tiniest ratchet you can to remove the 3 bolts above the hvac box. I think they are 6 or 7mm?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm screwed... I didn't think at the time there was anyway I was getting in there.

I guess I will have a look in the manual and see how Ford says to do it.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
my 2.3 heater isnt that great and Ive got most new parts, water pump, thermostat, heater core, coolant. I block off 3/4 of the radiator with cardboard if its below 50 out. I tried adding a auxiliary electric heater between the seats in the cab, “back seat heat” it’s called. Its a waste of time & money. The next thing I want to try is foam slip-on insulation (like pool noodles) over the heater hoses, maybe Im getting heat loss in that 4/5 ft of hose. Id suspect no heat at all to be a blend door issue.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If it's below 50 you should cover the radiator with some cardboard. We've ran 2.3's with no cooling system at all in the demolition derbies and they work just fine lol.

massacre

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I recently had this problem and it ended up being a stuck open thermostat

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
Im not sure what year truck you have, but in all 3 of my 1st gens, the factory never installed radio antennas, it was either an after thought or dealer added option. In one 83 it looked like a torch was used to burn a hole to pass cable into the cowel, and in another 83, and an 85 they broke a hole into the side of the heater box and pulled the cable into the cab that way. Each method left 3-4 sq .inch hole to suck cold air through. Not sure if this is adding to your issues, but sure affected my trucks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals