• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

so rebuild or reman for my 2.9l?

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1987Ranger12394:

I generally say rebuild the 2.9L, I do not know what you need it to do but if I needed 400 @ the crank, I would seriously consider a 5.0 HO vs the expense of taking the little guy who can, to the wicked end.

On the other hand, if you could make use 30 or more mpg from your truck, improve the original 2.9.
The cost of throwing a 5.0 still ends up being way more than the 2.9. I get there are ways to make it cheaper (explorer 302 and computer) but why take a old explorer ecu an wireing and a 302 that will have to be built and fab up. Im not spending money just to throw another worn out engine i don't know the history on in my truck.
And new id be looking at 10+ grand for engine management intake and accessories plus the store bought built engine, trans, transfercase, might as well just get an 80s f250 hell of a lot cheaper and same feel as the ranger just bigger.

what i got works plus I've got money invested in my setup already so I'd be out that as well. And if I build the 2.9l for boost and never add it I just have a super reliable ranger. Or I can build it over time and add boost last and still enjoy driving my truck and it not end up with an unfinished 5.0 swap project.

And if my wife gets what she wants the ranger will go up for sale and I'll be back in a chevy ck1500 stepside with the 5.7l so its up in the air at the moment.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals