• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

So inconvenient

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I saw a video once where someone rigged a airbag under some tires and when a guy sat down for lunch they set it off and it launched him into the air. I personally dont like airbags and would rather disconnect the damn things permanently but I do also believe the only reason my daughter wasn’t killed last year when she dozed off behind the wheel and rear-ended a pickup at 55/60 was the airbag. you couldnt even tell it was a escape anymore from looking at the front end.
View attachment 63034
I was rear ended last march. I was stopped in my F-150, lady hit me from behind in a VW Passat doing at least 60-65mph. She hit me so hard she used my drive shaft to rip the engine off the engine mounts. She walked away without any injuries. She surely would have died without the airbags.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I was rear ended last march. I was stopped in my F-150, lady hit me from behind in a VW Passat doing at least 60-65mph. She hit me so hard she used my drive shaft to rip the engine off the engine mounts. She walked away without any injuries. She surely would have died without the airbags.

View attachment 63037View attachment 63038
That looks like a clear, straight section of road, I don't know where she was looking but it obviously wasn't where she was going.
That airbag prevented natural selection from working. I know, that's cold and I'm a jerk, but what if a kid was crossing the road in front of her instead?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That looks like a clear, straight section of road, I don't know where she was looking but it obviously wasn't where she was going.
That airbag prevented natural selection from working. I know, that's cold and I'm a jerk, but what if a kid was crossing the road in front of her instead?
I was stopped behind a school bus, and about half a dozen other cars.

She was looking at a cell phone. I know for a fact because after I climbed out the passenger side of my truck, I went and opened the door of her car to see if she was ok. There she sat holding her cellphone, a state of shock.

Without those airbags we would have one less distracted driver on the road. I would like to say that’s “the hard way” of getting people off their phones while in the car, but frankly it’s probably easier then convincing people that it can wait. :(

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I was stopped behind a school bus, and about half a dozen other cars.

She was looking at a cell phone. I know for a fact because after I climbed out the passenger side of my truck, I went and opened the door of her car to see if she was ok. There she sat holding her cellphone, a state of shock.

Without those airbags we would have one less distracted driver on the road. I would like to say that’s “the hard way” of getting people off their phones while in the car, but frankly it’s probably easier then convincing people that it can wait. :(
I think using a cell phone while driving should be treated differently by the law. If a cop sees you playing with your phone/texting/whatever, it should be a traffic ticket- maybe careless and negligent driving, with loss of license and a fine. If you run into another vehicle or a person it's not an accident, it's driving to endanger, loss of license and a big fine with hiked insurance rates. If anyone is hurt, it's assault, extended loss of license, huge fine, maybe jail time based on how serious the injuries are, and maximum insurance rates. If anyone dies, it's either negligent homicide or manslaughter and jail time(I think it would be 7-15 in NH) and lifetime loss of license.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I think using a cell phone while driving should be treated differently by the law. If a cop sees you playing with your phone/texting/whatever, it should be a traffic ticket- maybe careless and negligent driving, with loss of license and a fine. If you run into another vehicle or a person it's not an accident, it's driving to endanger, loss of license and a big fine with hiked insurance rates. If anyone is hurt, it's assault, extended loss of license, huge fine, maybe jail time based on how serious the injuries are, and maximum insurance rates. If anyone dies, it's either negligent homicide or manslaughter and jail time(I think it would be 7-15 in NH) and lifetime loss of license.
I agree 100%. When you engange in dangerous behavior that could harm others the government should step in and enforce laws with harsh fines and penalities for such a activity. Unless of course it's at all inconvenient then it's government overreach and they should back off!

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It should make you nervous, it's important to sit at least 10"-12" away from the airbag. I brought an airbag from a used steering column I bought for my daughter's old car into the shop and set it off during lunch one day- for 2 reasons (1) who doesn't like explosions? and (2) if the manual says to depower the airbag before a procedure, I wanted my techs to do it. I sat the bag on the floor with the upholstered side up and it flew 10' in the air from the rebound, if I'd had it upholstery down it probably would have gone through the roof. I hate those things, buckle the seat belt, adjust the seat and headrest properly, stay sober, put your "smart" phone down, and you won't need airbags.
I wish that was the case: Dale Earnhardt was killed because while he was belted into his car, nothing stopped his head from continuing forward. Which is why NASCAR drivers now are required to use HANS device. If you think seatbelts are restrictive and uncomfortable, you should try driving with HANS.

Much as I too hate air bags, they have saved the lives of couple people in Rangers I have restored so I can't dismiss them.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I wish that was the case: Dale Earnhardt was killed because while he was belted into his car, nothing stopped his head from continuing forward. Which is why NASCAR drivers now are required to use HANS device. If you think seatbelts are restrictive and uncomfortable, you should try driving with HANS.

Much as I too hate air bags, they have saved the lives of couple people in Rangers I have restored so I can't dismiss them.
For the uninitiated ("What's a HANS device?"), this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HANS_device

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Some states have handheld devices laws. Some even have laws against hands free measures like a blue tooth ear piece. I don’t think PA is that strict but they do have laws about using a cell phone while driving. Not that it’s enforced. Heck, I see the police driving around with a phone to their ear pretty regularly.

On long trips, the phone is clamped into a holder and I have a bluetooth ear piece in. On short trips, I don’t answer it at all. It can wait until I get where I need to get.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Some states have handheld devices laws. Some even have laws against hands free measures like a blue tooth ear piece. I don’t think PA is that strict but they do have laws about using a cell phone while driving. Not that it’s enforced. Heck, I see the police driving around with a phone to their ear pretty regularly.

On long trips, the phone is clamped into a holder and I have a bluetooth ear piece in. On short trips, I don’t answer it at all. It can wait until I get where I need to get.

In most states I believe police are exempt from distracted driving laws so they can you their computers and radios while driving.

It's ok they're "specially trained" to use a laptop while driving.....

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
In Oregon it's a pretty serious offense and before Rona it was enforced pretty heavily, now you have to be doing something pretty stupid to get pulled over, just now seeing more people pulled over so that might be coming back...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It's ok they're "specially trained" to use a laptop while driving.....
Do teenage girls teach that course at the police academy?

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

View attachment 63037View attachment 63038
Love the wheels!

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The most inconvenient think about rangers are the 55mph folding mirrors... I'm about to drill a hole an put a set screw in them!!!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
On the first/second gen flag mirrors you can drill off the mushed pot metal holding the spring plate down then drill/tap the posts for a machine screw, works well, I think I just have sheet metal screws tensioning mine...

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I put Street Scene aerodynamic mirrors on mine. They don't move at 100 mph.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals