• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

So inconvenient

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I ride pretty close to the steering wheel I'm not gonna lie. Especially in a manual transmission. I want to make sure that pedal HITS THE FLOOR. LOL
Ahh, see, I’ve always put the seat as far back as I can be comfortable with. Let’s me stretch out a little and puts me as far back from any airbag as possible.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I sit like a stock car driver.

Right on the wheel son!

download.jpeg

Fryedbm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ahh, see, I’ve always put the seat as far back as I can be comfortable with. Let’s me stretch out a little and puts me as far back from any airbag as possible.
The air bag really does make me nervous. I'm just stupid and need to be close. Lol

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The air bag really does make me nervous. I'm just stupid and need to be close. Lol
Believe me, you don’t want punched by an airbag

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
What's even more fun is they use the same lever on Explorers which puts it right behind the meat of the steering wheel so you can't see any of the markings on it...

I sit as far back as I can get away with to put the clutch all the way down without my hip being down to the seat which conveniently in an extended cab is a few clicks forward! In my '90 with Explorer seats it's all the way against the window... I do hit the lever with my knee occasionally on the '97

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
What's even more fun is they use the same lever on Explorers which puts it right behind the meat of the steering wheel so you can't see any of the markings on it...

I sit as far back as I can get away with to put the clutch all the way down without my hip being down to the seat which conveniently in an extended cab is a few clicks forward! In my '90 with Explorer seats it's all the way against the window... I do hit the lever with my knee occasionally on the '97
That does remind me, I remember my knee hitting stuff working the clutch in a regular cab, back when I was looking for my first truck. Extended cab seats seem to have a few extra clicks back which put things just right

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Even with factory seats in my regular cab they hit the back window before hitting the end of the seat track. Someone at Ford definitely screwed up some measurements on that one...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Even with factory seats in my regular cab they hit the back window before hitting the end of the seat track. Someone at Ford definitely screwed up some measurements on that one...
They probably use the same upper track for scabs.

Mine is the same way.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
It should make you nervous, it's important to sit at least 10"-12" away from the airbag. I brought an airbag from a used steering column I bought for my daughter's old car into the shop and set it off during lunch one day- for 2 reasons (1) who doesn't like explosions? and (2) if the manual says to depower the airbag before a procedure, I wanted my techs to do it. I sat the bag on the floor with the upholstered side up and it flew 10' in the air from the rebound, if I'd had it upholstery down it probably would have gone through the roof. I hate those things, buckle the seat belt, adjust the seat and headrest properly, stay sober, put your "smart" phone down, and you won't need airbags.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It should make you nervous, it's important to sit at least 10"-12" away from the airbag. I brought an airbag from a used steering column I bought for my daughter's old car into the shop and set it off during lunch one day- for 2 reasons (1) who doesn't like explosions? and (2) if the manual says to depower the airbag before a procedure, I wanted my techs to do it. I sat the bag on the floor with the upholstered side up and it flew 10' in the air from the rebound, if I'd had it upholstery down it probably would have gone through the roof. I hate those things, buckle the seat belt, adjust the seat and headrest properly, stay sober, put your "smart" phone down, and you won't need airbags.
Don't worry, your rascal scooter doesn't have airbags.

297.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know about yours but my 99 Ranger has the blinker so low I hit it with my knee. Lol. It's like the truck was made for guys under 5'9. 😜
I am 6'-3" and have been known to intentionally signal a right hand turn with my knee...

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
AllanD (used to be a regular, hasn't been around in a bit) talked about using airbags in the junkyard when he needed to put more force on a wrench than he could muster. Just prop the airbag underneath, run some wires, and jump the wiring from a safe distance.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
AllanD (used to be a regular, hasn't been around in a bit) talked about using airbags in the junkyard when he needed to put more force on a wrench than he could muster. Just prop the airbag underneath, run some wires, and jump the wiring from a safe distance.
with my luck the wrench would fly off somewhere in the yard where I would never see it again and the bolt would still be frozen, or the wrench would fly off and crack my skull....

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I saw a video once where someone rigged a airbag under some tires and when a guy sat down for lunch they set it off and it launched him into the air. I personally dont like airbags and would rather disconnect the damn things permanently but I do also believe the only reason my daughter wasn’t killed last year when she dozed off behind the wheel and rear-ended a pickup at 55/60 was the airbag. you couldnt even tell it was a escape anymore from looking at the front end.
448655F3-47BF-411E-84D3-2413C0544399.jpeg

Fryedbm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Wow!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals