• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

So I understand things properly

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
I've been digging through this section to see what I can do for my little ol' b2. I'm a cheap sob, so what I've come to the conclusion I should try to do is this.

A pair of 4 door 4x4 rear exploder leaf springs, and those chevy drop shackles from autozone flipped over(?) for the rear end. I'm not sure what that will net me in terms of lift as it seems to be a mixed batch of results.

The front, I'm uncertain of due to alignment issues with the TTB system. Drop brackets and taller coil springs would be ideal, but how to pull this off without a welder is a bit beyond me as I don't have it sitting in front of me to see what I can try.

Hammering, drilling, grinding or cutting are not beyond my abilities, but I'm certainly no machinist. I intend to acquire a welder in the not so distant future, although my welding skills will need some work.

So that said. Am I close to correct on how to handle the rear end, and how should I handle the front? Again, I'm cheap, but I won't put something together that I feel will be dangerous, or has been shown to be such.

I have it in my head that I'd like to get about 3 inches of lift currently.
I'll keep reading other posts, but tips, tricks and advice are appreciated.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
you can go up 2 inches on the front and still be able to align it with factory radius arms and drop brackets. there's several ways to do this. washers, leveling coils, coil spacers (check out the tech library, "lifting on a budget" section).

other than that, you'll need lift coils and drop brackets. the classifieds section is a good place to look. i got my coils and brackets for $110 shipped to my door from other members here.

for the back, you should get anywhere from 2-4" of lift with that setup. and no, you dont need to flip the shackle (unless you flipped the hanger, but that'd be hard work on a b2 unless you took the body off). depends on how old the EX leaf springs are.

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
Is it possible to use longer bolts and space the factory drop brackets downward to help maintain alignment(ignoring the radius arms for now)? Thanks for the reply!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i've often wondered that myself. could work for a lifted street truck that saw minimal off road use. i wouldnt trust it on something i planned to wheel very hard. the driver side drop bracket would be hard to do that with though. it bolts to a cross member and i dont really see how you could drop it down. in fact, some lift kits (the cheapo kits) use a drop plate for the driver side.

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
Well, I don't know what is considered "hard wheeling". All I want to do is drive back and forth to work, and on the rare occasion, play in the sticky brown stuff and maybe some water.

Probably subject to change, but I would like to fit 31" or 33" tires on it. My understanding is this will involve some fender trimming(and probably a broken D28). Not an issue on that part.

The other cheap seat option is the body lift. I can't seem to get a feeling on that, one way or the other. Good, bad, or okay?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'm not a fan of body lifts myself. i dont like the gaps between the bumpers and how you can see the frame rails. but that's just me. you could easily clear 31's with a 3 inch body lift though.

if it's just light wheeling, it may be fine for you. you may be able to make the D28 last as well. i beat the crap out of mine back in high school and it held up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals