• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

so, i already seached but couldnt figure it out...

juggalomania92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so a couple days ago i got a 91 explorer 4 door auto, and the gas gauge is definitely not accurate what so ever. i put 6 gallons in it and the needle didnt go up 6 gallons, or close to it, and the needle moves around while im driving its not like it moves at a steady pace downwards, it will move around and be low then come up a bit and stay for a little then back down, i dont know what to look at first or where all the grounds are located, and what size is this tank is it 19 or 21 gallon?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford puts the grounds in the engine bay (fenders, rad support, etc).

A lot of guys cut an access panel rather than dropping the tank to get to the top of the tank and access the sender.

See? http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182160&highlight=fuel+access+panel

There is also a "slosh module" in the instrument cluster. Sometimes they are the culprit for fuel gaging issues, but my bet is that the brass $8 float is perforated and filled with fuel.

juggalomania92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks a lot man, im gonna probably cut that whole in the floor soon, but how would i go about testing the gauge? or replace the slosh module?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad