• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

So Cal camping

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
Which trip are you interested in? They are all very different and alot of fun!

I would like to do all 3, but I know we will go to the big bear event, time and money are not my friends.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Lets see...
The Big Bear event will be free unless you want to camp or stay at a hotel.

The FITD trip to the Hammers is about $50 for the weekend if I remember
correctly. It is a big event with food and raffles etc. Unless you are pretty hardcore and dont worry about body damage, I would stick with the Big Easy or Fissure Mtn...Bullfrog would be good too. The rest of the Hammers trails are super tough and hard on your rig. I still have a squeak in my rig that I cant seem to find after running out at the Hammers last time. After my last big trip a few weeks ago, I volunteered to lead an easy trail and take a little break for a while.

The Mojave Road trip is one of my favorites and the easiest. A room at the Avi on Friday night is $66 dollars. The only other cost of that trip would be gas to Laughlin and back and of course food. BUT you could always just leave very early in the morning and meet us at the Avi instead of staying the night. This trip is very family friendly and enjoyable!

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
They charge to camp? how much?

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I think Big Bear at the Green Spot campground is around 10-15 a night. Possibly more. All of the camp sites charge anymore if they are maintained campgrounds.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Big Bear would be great this time of year, but if you say you dont get a long with Jeepers, your in for a rude awakening. John Bull is a pretty tough trail, especially the rock gardens. Make sure you have your adventure pass too, because the greentrucks check all the time. A lot of the trails are for ON-highway vehicles only. As far as campgrounds go, not sure of the pricing. I have to say that my favorite place is Ocatillo Wells, just because there is SO many trails, but the season doesnt open for another 2 months. I'm trying to have my Ranger off-roadable by Halloween Weekend and take it out to Oco if anyone is interested

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
but if you say you dont get a long with Jeepers
Where did that come from??
Oh...nevermind I found it down in the posts.. There will no doubt be alot of Jeeps up there!

We will be running the John Bull and Dishpan for sure. It will all depend on how busy the trails are and if we have breakdowns. I dont think any of the trails up there are all that tough. Even the smaller rigs can get through all of them with some good spotting!

As for snobby...I have run into and wheeled with all sorts of folks. Sure there are some snobs, but for the most part, all good down to earth folks. There is one group that I wont mention thier names, but I will never wheel with them again. Hint the are in So-Cal and dont drive Jeeps or Hummers and you need an invite to get into thier group.

Last edited:

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
I dont mind jeeps. But you guys can bash me all you want, because I dont like snobs.

I may not need to camp, I live only 20min away.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
As for snobby...I have run into and wheeled with all sorts of folks. Sure there are some snobs, but for the most part, all good down to earth folks. There is one group that I wont mention thier names, but I will never wheel with them again. Hint the are in So-Cal and dont drive Jeeps or Hummers and you need an invite to get into thier group.
sounds like Yoda guys to me....

If you only live 20 mins away, then I say just go back home afterwards. Wish I could join you guys...

Last edited:

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
sounds like Yoda guys to me....
Nope...not Toy guys...

I probably will not camp either. We have a place of Starvation Flats. After my camping trip on the east coast and then last weekend in Wrightwood, I am a bit tired of tent camping and dont want to drive the motorhome up the back road!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals