• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Snow!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
We got some snow but it’s long gone. I had no need to be out in it. Can’t really drive right now and most of the trucks are presently broken anyway

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
We were supposed to get 2" or so but ended up getting about six on Saturday. My son got a snowmobile this fall and he was able to ride it, so that's good. I actually like the snow. It allows for lots of activities I cannot do in the summer, like snowshoeing, snowmobiling, etc. That said, I don't like when it's teens+ below zero, for weeks on end. Especially if there's no snow. I think having drastically different, but short seasons helps one appreciate each one a little more.
You would love Saskatchewan, then. We do have four distinct seasons. Winter is cold and snowy. Spring is warming up, and full of new life. Summer is hot and sunny, with lots to do and see. Fall is colourful, as things cool down in the lead-up to winter.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
snowing again here, big flakes. No wind either. for the first time in many days the windmill isn’t turning. Have less than 1/2 inch. Would be a good christmas eve snow. Watch- christmas it will be 45 and rainy I bet. I used to love the challenge of snow driving, powersliding around corners & spinning tires through the first 4 gears of a 5 speed. Now I just want it for christmas & it can stay away for the rest. But that’s mostly due to sliding sideways off the road 2 years ago at 2 am and winding up facing the opposite direction I came from and on the side at that. The real kicker is that I wasn’t goofing off at the time, the butt of the car just went to the right & I couldnt bring it out of the slide, Shoulda turned the wheel left & floored it I guess.

Oh look- deere tracks! :

CA93CC5F-117E-470C-BC41-DC1057ADBB5F.jpeg

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It’s too early for this crap. We normally don’t get these temps and snow before Thanksgiving.

I still need to put the carport up yet and I’m scrambling to get the trailer finished so I can clean up the garage and get the trailer parked for the winter.

So, I’ve been using the kerosene and electric heaters in the garage so it’s warm enough for the paint and primer to cure. At $3.64 a gallon and price of electricity going up, it’s getting expensive fast.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I bought a propane torpedo heater last year... maybe two years ago. That thing is no fuel miser.

It should heat up my tiny garage pretty quick though.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I bought a propane torpedo heater last year... maybe two years ago. That thing is no fuel miser.

It should heat up my tiny garage pretty quick though.
Oh, it heats things up fast for sure and it doesn’t take long to burn through a 20# bottle. It also sets the CO monitor off.

I use it to heat up the garage quick and then use the kerosene heaters to maintain temp and keep the edge off the chill from the still cold concrete floor.

It’s also great for quick jobs out in the driveway. Put the vehicle up on ramps and point the torpedo heater underneath. It helps keep the chill away.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I picked up a torpedo heater last winter. My wick kerosene heaters kept getting gummed up I assume from water in the kero. Torpedo doesn’t care, clean plug every couple days.

Use the radiant propane heater after the kero torpedo gets the garage toasty.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I bought a used torpedo heater for $20 at a garage sale over the summer, no idea if it works, about to find out soon!

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I havent seen snow in almost 10 years since moving to Arizona, and I don't miss it. Heck I am still wearing shorts and sandles.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I picked up a torpedo heater last winter. My wick kerosene heaters kept getting gummed up I assume from water in the kero. Torpedo doesn’t care, clean plug every couple days.

Use the radiant propane heater after the kero torpedo gets the garage toasty.
I've got years of experience with kerosene heaters. The wick problem is probably from old kero from wherever you're buying it. I learned from experience to buy kero only from fuel stations with an underground tank. The stations with above-ground tanks by the kero pump have more problems with fuel going stale because the tank is exposed to summer sun and temperature extremes.

It doesn't take much stale kero mixed with fresh to gum up a wick. Once the wick is like that, instead of trying to burn off the gum, you're better off replacing it. Use fresh kero with a new wick.

Also check where people who use a lot of kero are getting theirs.

Water in otherwise good kero will cause sputtering during burning. It doesn't gum up a wick so much as tear it up.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I had to dig out the jacket this morning. Pretty soon I’ll have to swap to long sleeve shirts. I wouldn’t mind spending a winter up north. I sometimes feel left out not knowing about snow chains and shovels and such. It’s funny to me that power tools exist to deal with weather.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Use clear kero not dyed could be related to wick problem maybe.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'll just leave this right here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I had to dig out the jacket this morning. Pretty soon I’ll have to swap to long sleeve shirts. I wouldn’t mind spending a winter up north. I sometimes feel left out not knowing about snow chains and shovels and such. It’s funny to me that power tools exist to deal with weather.
I'll give you the rundown..

Chains are a pain in the ass, a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires is the way to go. Put em on in late November, take em off in late may.

Shoveling can go to hell. Having a blower that can fit between the railings on your front porch is a must lol.

If your an individual who's capable of piloting your vehicle through a snowstorm like nothings even going on.... having to drive anywhere when it's snowing is the most aggravating thing ever. It doesn't take long to get stuck behind a subaru doing 20mph down a 50mph road because there's a dusting of dry fluffy snow on the pavement.

The treatments they dump/spray on the roads to keep them from freezing will eat through steel like nobody's business. It's estimated that BILLIONS of dollars are spent every year in the rust belt on rust repair. It's so bad that politicians have suggested that people who live in the rust belt should be given a tax credit for having a vehicle that dissolves every time you drive it for 4-5 months of the year.

Hearing people complain about having to drive to work when it's snowing is absolutely maddening. I'm sorry... but... it's not even remotely practical to shut everything down just because it's snowing. These people will complain about having to drive into work when it's snowing, but would raise holy hell if they stopped by dunkin donuts on their way home and couldn't get a coffee because theyre shut due to weather. MOVE TO FLORIDA ALREADY!!!!

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
If your an individual who's capable of piloting your vehicle through a snowstorm like nothings even going on.... having to drive anywhere when it's snowing is the most aggravating thing ever. It doesn't take long to get stuck behind a subaru doing 20mph down a 50mph road because there's a dusting of dry fluffy snow on the pavement.
Yes. I have a couple of choices for my commute to work. Freeway, county highway, or gravel. Gravel is usually out in a bad snowstorm because it gets to the point where you cannot tell where the road is anymore. The freeway is where all of the crazies are, and usually looks like the scene of one of those apocolyptic natural disaster movies, forget that. So usually it's the county highway and there's always that 20mph car. Always. And naturally no good way to pass them.

I remember in the mountains in WA there being signs that said if you had more than X cars behind you, you're required to pull over and let them pass. We need something like that here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals