• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Snorkel project

Primosboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 efi v6
Transmission
Automatic
I know my truck isn't lifted yet but I was bored and decided to start on a snorkel. After checking out many different homemade versions I decided I wanted something different. Want it to be close to a factory style snorkel as I can. Mind you I've never attempted this before do don't laugh. Lol.

Started by getting everything out of the way.

Then I cut off and sealed off original intake with watertight bichathing window flashing.

Luckily I'm driving another vehicle right now so it can sit and be worked on.

Then I picked my new spot to come into airbox.

That bichathing stuff works like a charm.

So I went to home depot and picked up some thick plastic downspout extensions and some fittings to make up the snorkel.

Now I have it just tacked up with tape to show what it'll look like.

I'm going to smooth the surface of the snorkel and rhino line it so it's all sealed up and black. I still need to find something to use as the air ram, and something for a big gromet where the snorkel goes into the fender. Any ideas would be appreciated. That's what I have soo far. I will be updating.

Not much of an update but here's what it looks like now.

Used a drainage cone cap for the ram. Still going rhino line it and figure out something to use as grommet around the fender hole, and of coarse mount it somehow.

Last edited:

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Kind of how I did myExplorer. I used PVC though.

I just used wind shield urethane (the same black goop in the third pic. I used it to to seal the PVC down to the dryer tube. Its the stuff on the tire in the last pic) to seal it around the body. It comes in a tube like caulking, and never gets brittle. Auto parts store should carry it.

Last edited:

Primosboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 efi v6
Transmission
Automatic
Kind of how I did myExplorer. I used PVC though.

I just used wind shield urethane (the same black goop in the third pic. I used it to to seal the PVC down to the dryer tube. Its the stuff on the tire in the last pic) to seal it around the body. It comes in a tube like caulking, and never gets brittle. Auto parts store should carry it.

Awesome! You have any trouble with smog?

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
No smog here, so no, no problem. It still uses the stock air filter, so the only thing I changed is the fresh air intake area.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
interesting

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The hot-air duct & valve missing from the intake will cause you to fail California smog (probably others too). So you may want to hang onto those pieces.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Like I said is all there. The only piece I changed was where the fresh air enters (from behind the headlight to above the cab). Still have the stock tube from the box to the plenum. Hose is still hooked up to intake and valve atill in stock location. MAF is still stock location as well, still use stock air filter.

Primosboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 efi v6
Transmission
Automatic
Oooooh alright. So would you normally start snorkel after the valve?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I see the intake tube (snorkel) going directly into your air box (bypassing the hot-air redirect valve from the exhaust manifold duct). What am I not seeing that maintains the integrity of the hot-air induction system?
(even if those parts are in place, it's not likely to pass muster if they are not functioning the way they were intended)

Primosboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 efi v6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah like I said, never done it before so I didn't know. So what exactly does the hot air valve do? I'm looking at the one on my other 88 and the redirect valve goes into the exhaust it looks like, or something heat shielded. But on this one before I cut it off it didn't have that hose. The valve just redirected it into open air. I'm going to take the one off the other truck and replace this one and run snorkel differently, but I'd like to know what it all does. Thanks for the heads up.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
As i understand it, it directs hot air coming off the exhaust manifold into the intake to reduce emissions while the engine is warming up. As the engine reaches operating temp the valve then switches back to cold air from the front of the truck.

To be legal, your snorkel would have to be mounted ahead of the valve (which could put you into a gray area as far as passing if you relocate the valve at all, not sure), and could compromise your snorkel's effectiveness as well.

Though technically not legal, swapping the parts back & forth when time comes due is probably the most practical approach.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals