• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Smelly oil

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So smelled my dipstick and it smells like gas. I had 2-3 drops of it on to a paper towel from the dipstick. I don't drive short trips in it and I changed the oil bout 1k ago. I have a small coolant leak coming from the heater hose too. How do I check the fpr? I changed the fuel filter today. Any help appreciated

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I also recently sprayed the Maf but didn't take it off the cylinder part just sprayed. Maf cleaner in the sensor. Don't know if that has something to do

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mpg has been poor as well. 14-16

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Could be a fouled fuel injector. Add a can or two of fuel injector cleaner to your fuel next time you fuel up.

As for the FPR, pull the vacuum line off while the engine is running. If fuel comes out where the vacuum line was, its bad.

Also, you may want to consider changing the O2 sensors if they have over 50k miles on them. They don't really go out, but do degrade over time and use.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Whenever you change or clean a sensor you need to reset the computer by disconnecting the neg terminal on the battery for 1/2 an hour. Also check the vacuum line to the brake booster for fuel smell. The fuel from the regulator can migrate to the brake booster and destroy the seals internally if the regulator is leaking.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Rare, but it happens...my uncle let his truck sit up a few days...apparently gas leaked from the carb into the cylinders and down into the oil pan...when he tried to start it...it blew the oil pan gasket OUT and blew the air cleaner apart & alsonearly sent the snap-in cap on the valve cover thru the roof of his garage!!!

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Have you been making a lot of short trips lately? The engine runs rich for the first few miles and will dilute the oil with gas a bit. So if you're doing nothing but short trips the engine is basically always running rich so you will have fuel dilution, which will make the oil smell like gas. It's normal and there's nothing you can do about it. If that's the only type of driving you do, it might be a good idea to change the oil every 3k miles instead of the normal 5k.

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Rare, but it happens...my uncle let his truck sit up a few days...apparently gas leaked from the carb into the cylinders and down into the oil pan...when he tried to start it...it blew the oil pan gasket OUT and blew the air cleaner apart & alsonearly sent the snap-in cap on the valve cover thru the roof of his garage!!!
Funny thing is I had to leave my truck high centered tail end up for a night and then chainsawed my way out the next day. Could I have flooded it some from being at that angle?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Could be a fouled fuel injector. Add a can or two of fuel injector cleaner to your fuel next time you fuel up.

As for the FPR, pull the vacuum line off while the engine is running. If fuel comes out where the vacuum line was, its bad.

Also, you may want to consider changing the O2 sensors if they have over 50k miles on them. They don't really go out, but do degrade over time and use.
Those don't work. There are also TSB's from multiple manufacturers that advise NOT to use such fuel additives because they do more harm than good. Source: I'm an ex-technician.

Throwing parts at it won't fix anything, and it'll only empty your wallet. Is the check engine light on?

4x4mike2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.squirill
Transmission
Automatic
Could be worn excessive blowby from worn rings. Check the PCV lines an make sure they are in good shape and working properly.

not to trread jack but, I've had pretty good results with fuel additives. The worse thing that could go in your engine is ethanol, yet uncle sam insists on wattering down gas with it.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Really rare on a EFI vehicle. :secret:

My JD B actually hydrolocked because the needle didn't seat right, after changing the needle and seat now I shut the gas off at both the sediment bowl and tank selector.

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No check engine light. Changed the oil yesterday we'll see if it starts to stink like gas again.
Then it'll be back to the drawing board.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Check the oil often also get a fuel pressure guage and check the fuel pressure and leave it on after you stop the engine. If it looses pressure you have to determine where. pull the plugs one at a time and smell for fuel if so use a good injector cleaner for a couple of tanks and see if it holds pressure. There are three things check valve in the fuel pump, injectors or regulator that leak down fuel pressure when the engine is stopped. In no way is fuel in the oil a normal condition your sitting on a bomb and need to address it. ASAP

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals