• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Small toothed gear behind ring gear in Ford 8.8 identification

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welp I should've taken the time to spin the gear the other day, that's all it would've took for me to find out what caused it! I believe all this is factory. I think at this point I'm just going to replace the whole carrier + ring gear + tone ring. The spider gears are well rounded. Maybe I'll find a junkyard unit, or maybe I'll go for yukon gears and a positraction carrier. -- on that note, can I just drop in a posi unit from a similar vintage mustang?

Along with that ring tooth being crunched off, the bolt holding the cross pin is also stripped out. I think the best course of action for me is going to be to drill out the pin itself. I think the bolt is too far recessed into the case for me to get a drill to it. I take it the pin is hardened steel? I'll have to invest in some good drill bits for this one.

Of course, I'm open to any other ideas or suggestions.

Edit: My buddy had an idea to cut a slot in the bolt and try to use a flathead to get it out. I guess it's time to buy a dremel!
Carrier for a Mustang with same size axle i.e. both 8.8s would swap in, as would one from F-150, again assuming both 8.8s.

I assume you mean bolt head is rounded on the cross pin bolt - I have a special ?Mac? 6 point box end long handle wrench (I think it was originally called a brake bleeder wrench) specifically for removing cross pin bolts - those bolts are put in with Ford's yellow threadlocker, so I would apply heat 1st with situation you are in.

Another solution is to weld a wrench to the bolt head - my daughter found that a fairly ingenious way to remove a couple bolts with rounded heads.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Carrier for a Mustang with same size axle i.e. both 8.8s would swap in, as would one from F-150, again assuming both 8.8s.

I assume you mean bolt head is rounded on the cross pin bolt - I have a special ?Mac? 6 point box end long handle wrench (I think it was originally called a brake bleeder wrench) specifically for removing cross pin bolts - those bolts are put in with Ford's yellow threadlocker, so I would apply heat 1st with situation you are in.

Another solution is to weld a wrench to the bolt head - my daughter found that a fairly ingenious way to remove a couple bolts with rounded heads.
I forgot to mention the locktite, good point.

crazyramen

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/75 R15
The only way to put a positraction in is to use a chevy rear end. You often see Chevy performance cars with Ford rear ends after they get sick of breaking their posi over and over. Ford's limited slip is called a Traction Lok and some Torsen units were used, too. There's probably metal throughout the housing now so make sure to do a thorough cleaning if you rebuild it. It's apt to be cheaper to just buy a used rear end, especially if you need a differential along with gears, bearings, and seals.
Sorry I'm not really up to snuff on the different OEM names for clutch based LS diffs. I meant just getting a Ford 8.8 LS carrier and throwing it in after doing a full cleaning of course.

That's a good idea just swapping over rear ends. Going the diff rebuild route would be a good challenge and a new project for me, plus then I know everything is new and not going to break on me. We'll see what I come out with for costs and make the decision based on that. Looks like I can get new Yukon parts for about $500. I assume the whole axle would be a bit cheaper at a pick and pull place. I've got 4.10 gearing right now, and I think I'd like to keep that ratio, so if I did a whole axle swap I guess I gotta make sure to find a 4.10.

I'll definitely try some heat. Unfortunately I don't have access to a welder (machine) or a welder (one who welds,) though that sounds like that'd be the fastest way out. A lack of welders also limits my ability to use explorer axles, unless I want that Carolina lean.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You will need a few specialty tools to rebuild an 8.8. Various Types of bearing pullers, a die grinder, in/lb torque stick, dial indicator, ect.

Some of these things you could probably do without, if you had done it before and had a good feel. Other things you could probably make yourself.

It will probably take a lot longer then doing an axel swap, especially your first time.

crazyramen

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/75 R15
Yeah I've got all the tools I need and I've been doing tons of research with youtube videos, manuals, etc. so I'm probably just going to go for it. It'll be a fun project and a good learning experience.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Welp I should've taken the time to spin the gear the other day, that's all it would've took for me to find out what caused it! I believe all this is factory. I think at this point I'm just going to replace the whole carrier + ring gear + tone ring. The spider gears are well rounded. Maybe I'll find a junkyard unit, or maybe I'll go for yukon gears and a positraction carrier. -- on that note, can I just drop in a posi unit from a similar vintage mustang?

Along with that ring tooth being crunched off, the bolt holding the cross pin is also stripped out. I think the best course of action for me is going to be to drill out the pin itself. I think the bolt is too far recessed into the case for me to get a drill to it. I take it the pin is hardened steel? I'll have to invest in some good drill bits for this one.

Of course, I'm open to any other ideas or suggestions.

Edit: My buddy had an idea to cut a slot in the bolt and try to use a flathead to get it out. I guess it's time to buy a dremel!
as the cut off wheel wears down it flings abrasive dust all over inside the axle, clean thoroughly after grinding!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals