• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Small amount of gas on top of tank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello, I noticed a small amount of gas that accumulates on the top of my gas tank near the tubing. After a quick drive >2mi I noticed fresh fluid (a little more than a few drops, no puddles). Should I be concerned? Does this affect my fuel economy?

b2 gas tank leak.jpg

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would be a bit concerned. Not too likely that sparks will happen but stranger thing have happened. The rubber line with the hose clamp, inspect it closely. If there is enough, cut it back so the clamp is on new hose.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes it will for sure effect MPG

If tank wasn't full then the leak is in one of the hose connections
The hose with the 90deg fitting is the 35psi pressure hose so most likely to leak

The other hose with the clamp is 0psi but does have "flow", its the return line from the Fuel Pressure regulator on the engine, so can also leak if pipe or hose is cracked

If you dry off the gas then let the engine idle for a few minutes and see more gas then its a hose

If you only see more gas after driving it around then the gasket on the hold down ring is leaking, gas in the tank is sloshing around and splashing out

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ve also seen rubber hose “pinhole” and leak, seems to be most common to happen to either non fuel rated line or regular fuel line. The “high pressure” rubber fuel line doesn’t seem to experience this problem and I suspect that it has something to do with ethanol gas. My 92 had a section of rubber line on it that was leaking pretty good. I thought it got cut somewhere that I couldn’t get a good look at and when I fished it out, I was surprised to find it looked fine, but a close inspection showed pinholes all through it. Not sure if I saved any, should have taken a picture.

I‘ve also seen a leak at the hold down ring, so definitely something worth investigating

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you dry off the gas then let the engine idle for a few minutes and see more gas then its a hose

If you only see more gas after driving it around then the gasket on the hold down ring is leaking, gas in the tank is sloshing around and splashing out
Now that's clever problem solving, thank you!

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If it is the gasket leaking, when you replace the gasket make sure to buy a new lock ring. The lock ring loses it's ability to put tension on the gasket and will work loose. I learned this one the hard way.

It is recommended to use a brass punch on the lock ring so it won't make a spark

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's rare that @RonD gets it wrong. That said... that factory 90 degree fitting is the return line with no pressure. The rubber hose and hose clamp is the pressure side of the sending unit. If your truck has the two pump system (which it probably does) its the low pressure pump supply hose to the frame mounted fuel reservoir. In which case the hose and clamp is probably adequate but certainly isn't a proper fix of the factory lines.

Here is a picture of my sending unit with a high pressure pump mod fir reference.

20220706_090416.jpg

To me... it sure looks like the sending unit seal is leaking on yours.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals