• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sluggish 1996 4.0

nezwick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey everybody, I'm new to TRS; I always hang out at FEOA.net but my father's '96 Ranger runs like a pig and we are in need of some advice. Here's the deal:

1996 Ranger 4wd extend cab
4.0 V6 with overdrive slush-o-matic, all bone stock
Recent "tune-up" (new plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, coolant flush)
Bought used 4 months ago

It does not have any erratic idle or misfires and sounds alright, but has NO power and feels like it's towing a house when we drive down the road. Checked the brakes (not seized or dragging), got an alignment and tire balancing.

Today, we ran Sea Foam through a vac line, cleaned the IAC, and cleaned about 1/8" of dried-on black crusty stuff and goo from the throttle body and throat plate. That helped IMMENSELY with throttle-response but it's still really gutless when it comes to acceleration/hills.

What else should I try cleaning/replacing? We're also getting about 17mpg which I think is a crime. And even though it has an autotragic, we think the 4.0 should have a lot more "stuff" than it does.

Any advice is appreciated!

trhull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
17mpg is pretty good for a 4.0. I used to get about 15 city, 17 highway. I am getting about 10 mpg right now, and I'm pretty sure something is wrong, as for the sluggishness I'm having similar problems; going to take it in and throw a scan tool on it to check for injector and ignition problems. I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

Kona

06/2014 OTOTM Winner
Canada Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
35x12.50x15
Compression test?

trhull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I jacked my truck up today, and checked to make sure there was no dragging in the drive train. As it turns out my drivers side front wheel bearing is either overtightened or damaged. I have a decent amount of drag on that wheel. Check that first it'll kill mileage, I dont know if that is the extent of my problems but it's worth mentioning.

nezwick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'll jack it up again this weekend to see if we can find anything weird going on with the wheel bearings etc.

I will definitely look into a compression meter, because I've been wanting to test my Scort too. My 88 Horses of Fury seem to have a lot more get-up-and-go than the 207hp(?) Ranger, so there's got to be something wrong here.

I was reading in the Technical Library and found something about the throttle cable being too long and not allowing complete WOT. I'm wondering if this might have something to do with it, so I'm going to look at this as well. I'll keep you posted. I really appreciate the replies!

STXRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I wish the 4.0 had 207 hp, its actually 160-170.
My 2wd has the same problem, and i cant for the life of me find whats wrong! Its prolly because i have 300,000+ miles on it.

nezwick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh, I guess I was looking at the stats for the 4th gen Ranger when I saw 207. I stand corrected.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals