• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

slinger shim-inner bearing/pinion

groovygriffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok i just bought my ranger with a blown up dana 35 in the front(full of mud and no bearings left). I've bought the 4.56 r/p front/rear with master install kits. what i need to know are the dimensions for the slinger shim-inner bearing on my 1996 ranger ... i'm a machinist and plan to build one just want to verify what one measures thats not all mangled up. i got .040 thick and i had a .020 shim behind it to space it off the bearing. im also gonna build a crush sleeve eliminator from the measurements for the stock one that was in it??? i'm only gonna build it because the only place i found the slinger was LMC for $159, and i'm getting pretty broke after all the new shinny parts i've already bought... i'm open for suggestions.:icon_cheers:

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
$159 for the slinger??? The sheet metal baffle that goes behind the pinion bearing race? Something is wrong with that picture.
Nevermind. You must be talking about the actual shim/ slinger behind the bearing. FYI $159 is still a rip off. Our parts guys looked that up and it's only $125 here at the dealer. Still lots of money but better than LMC.
BTW have you checked to see if there is a diff./trans shop in the area? We have a place in Seattle called Valley Gear that carries rebuilt manual trannys and transfer cases as well as genuine Dana parts, usually for about 1/2 of what we can get them for here at the dealership. Just a thought.

Last edited:

groovygriffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nope i havent checked, really no small town offroad shops that would have a clue... yep it is the shim slinger behind the gear. i bought that baffle that goes behind bearing for $.40 thru lmc. i also checked at my local Ford repesentive and they told me it was N/A for my year (the slinger/shim). im going to start putting it together tomorrow and ill let you know how it goes. i plan on just spacing out bearing the thickness of the shim, because the pinion still rides on the ID of the bearing no mater what. so ill still hit the pinion depth with no slinger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals