• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Slight shudder, 1994 Explorer XLT

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 Expo XLT witht he M5OD, and it seems over the last two days it has a bit of a random shudder/skip. It happens occasionally in 3rd, But more often in low RPM 2nd. It seems to do it mostly as I step on the gas. I got it to do it a few times today if I stepped harder on the gas pedal. Any ideas?

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Clutch slipping

Robert

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought that for a while, but smell no clutch, it's only really in low RPM second gear, and it is ridiculously random. Then again, could a clutch going out do that?

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
When I had a clutch go out on me it would slip in high gear first (5th), then when it was almost out it would brake loose when I would accelerate hard in first and second gear.

it could also be a broken spring on the disk plate.

only real way to tell is to remove the clutch and see what it looks like

Robert

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well when It definitely isn't coming full loose. I've had my clutch let loose on my bike before, and it seemed like my RPM spiked and the bike lost speed. Your input is very helpful Robert! I'm gonna see how it does over the next few days, and keep this updated. Does it help at all if I mention that the RPM doesn't change when this happens, and the event lasts anywhere from half to a touch over one second? I want to try some alternate routes before I pay to have the clutch checked. I'm wondering if it could be fuel pump, fuel filter, or water in the fuel?

Thanks a ton! 84BB2

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
check your spark plugs, My 89 BII had a miss, and it shuddered when pulling out, and it would MISS once in a while on the interstate, but it's a auto, turns out one of the past owners put the wrong plugs in , they where too short, I had changed out the wires, the cap, the rotor button, the coil, and pickup in the dizzy, then I changed the fuel pump, the fuel filter, and the fuel pressure regulator, and then had the injectors checked, and cleaned, I had also put new plugs, in BUT, I had took one of the old ones with me, so I also ended up putting the wrong plugs in, till I just went and had the Auto Parts store look them up for me, that's when I found out the plugs where 1/4 inch to short.

Robert

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Clean your MAF. Get the proper cleaner though, its like $6-7 at AZ. Do that first then go through the plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel filter, etc.

It'll be one of those things and the odds are you needed to change them anyways...LOL

Ben

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals