• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Slave cylinder fitting turnt wrong way

Patrick Maldonado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I replaced the clutch and slave and master cylinder on my 1990 ford ranger and the new slave cylinder I installed was a perfection slave cylinder. When I went to go hook up the hose to the slave cylinder I realized that the way the fitting on the slave was that I couldn't move the clip cause it was up and down and the only way I can push the clip in is if it was side to side cause of how the hole is on the bell housing there isn't room to do it the way it is. Can anybody tell me how I can hook up my hose without pulling my trans back out and pulling my slave cylinder back out. Or is the only way to fix it is by pulling everything back out and adjusting the slave cylinder and putting it back in?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
All I can think is remove the rubber access cover at the bottom and use that hole to access the clip with a Hook, to pull the clip or long needle nose pliers to reinstall it.

leothelyon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've done the same thing, replaced the MC and SC. Spent the entire afternoon using the clip to connect the male MC plug into the female connector on the SC. Then I thought, maybe there's a new clip in the box? No, ended up noticing the female connector is entirely different and doesn't use the clip. I thought I could get a few more years out of the old SC since I replaced it 3-4 years prior. So off with the Tran for the 4th time to install the new SC. Everything except for the pushrod on the MC is back together. The box didn't come with any instructions on how the pushrod goes back in. It's impossible to remove the bent old pushrod from the old MC to get an exact length. And it says the new pushrod is adjustable but no instructions on how that's done. I realize the brake light switch fits on the pushrod when I figure out how. And the ring or noose end of the pushrod looks so flimsy, made of plastic? If someone could give me some pointers on how to install.
Another problem, draining the old gas out of the tank. The truck has sat for 2-3 years but maybe it has evaporated out. I can't get a pump hose into the opening of tank. Thanks Leo

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You might consider sorting those two apart until getting one sorted out

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My most recent was a perfection, pre-bled slave, that had like a chinese grip in it, once you put it in, it needs the plastic tool to push the old collar in to release it

Just be sure it's latched in there good

leothelyon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
An inner circle of finger-type locking mechanism. I was able to easily push it in and feels like it's locked in. Installing the pushrod shouldn't be that difficult once I figure out a couple things, how to reinstall the brake light switch. I'm thinking I should be able to manually work that switch by hand/fingers to see if the tail brake lights come on. Should help give me an idea on how it goes back on.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Does the brake light go to the transmission? I'm fairly certain the back-up light does

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Does the brake light go to the transmission? I'm fairly certain the back-up light does
Brake light circuit doesn’t go to transmission. Manual transmission just has a switch for reverse.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It's impossible to remove the bent old pushrod from the old MC to get an exact length.
There is a trick to doing just that, you need a little piece of metal rolled around the rod. License plate thickness is about right, that's what I use. You push that down around the pushrod where it clips into the master cylinder until the clip releases, then pull the pushrod out.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
There is a trick to doing just that, you need a little piece of metal rolled around the rod. License plate thickness is about right, that's what I use. You push that down around the pushrod where it clips into the master cylinder until the clip releases, then pull the pushrod out.
I remember that now. Aluminum soda can would probably work.

leothelyon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
After reading another article here on this new plastic-looking pushrod that came with the kit, having 2nd thoughts about it possibly easily breaking, I have managed to remove the old from the old MC and bend it back pretty straight. So it's just a matter of snapping the two electrical controls/switches in place and push the rod into the new MC until it clicks I guess and clip the ring end over the stud high up on the clutch pedal. But don't have a new clip unless I can remove the one from the new pushrod, haven't had any luck with that. And the old clip sleave type is not all too good. May just wire it up. Leo
And the two pushrods, old and new are exactly the same size/length.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've not even seen talk of a plastic one before
What brand cylinder is it

Last edited:

leothelyon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Duralast from AZ.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals