• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SLA CV Axle.... Desperate for options?

DankRanger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
33's
I have a 99 Ranger 4.0 V6 4x4 with the SLA CV Axle. I've replaced almost everything; upper control arms, upper and lower ball joints, wheel hub assembly, CV axle, axle shaft, wheel seals, removed automatic hubs and installed Rugged Ridge manual hubs. And don't forget retainer clips since those hold everything together. I bought the truck and after driving it for 2 months, discovered half the CV axle was gone from the passenger side. So I set about fixing the front end. I have been through it twice. Every time its back together, within 5-10 miles it kicks the retainer clip off. And I'm positive it seated in the groove correctly. The first time it broke one of the manual hubs. This last round, 2 days ago, it kicked one off somewhere on the road. So I'm loads of cash in the hole on this front end and I can't figure out how, why or what is causing it to "come apart". Before I sink another $150 in a 3rd set of hubs and hours of work, I'm wondering what my options are at this point. Can I pull the SLA CV axle, seal the front differential, and drive it that way? 4 wheel drive is not a necessity so as long as it would get me back and forth, I'd be happy. Let me add that I plan to fix it when I can pinpoint the problem but I need it road ready before I lose anymore work...…. Any knowledge or insight would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals