• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Skyjacker Lift questions.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey all. I see Skyjacker lifts are recommended by TRS. I’m sure there are multiple members here that have gone this route personally. Can someone please explain the pros/cons of these two lifts or cost to benefit ratio? The Bronco will be used for mild off road activities like hunting and backroad adventures, not any serious wheeling/crawling. Just wanting to know if I cheap out for the lesser dollar kit I won’t be regretting it later is all. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@Awesom-O ,
I have a 4" lift with extended radius arms and a 2" with stock arms; both using spring packs I have assembled from the original vehicle pack and an Explorer pack. The 4" rides much better, both have Softride front coils.

The extended radius arms offer improved geometry over the stock arms. I would put money into that kit over the kit with the spring packs, it's simple to get more height and amend the ride with a custom home-built pack.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, years ago there was a whole big discussion about the suspension geometry and all. Can’t remember where it was, but the bottom line ended up being a strong argument that ride quality and suspension function could be improved on a stock truck by extending the radius arms and it is practically required for a lifted truck if you actually want the suspension to cycle as it should.

A lot of people cheap out on it. It’s understandable. Drop plates and stock arms will work. They just don’t work the greatest. For a mild wheeler they’re acceptable. But there’s a good argument that you’ll be happier with extended arms.

I never completed my experiment that I was working on yet. My choptop I built my own extended arms. Kinda overbuilt them a little and the mounts which tie in with a modified transmission crossmember. My only complaint is that I didn’t manage to get them completely out of the way of the tires, I get a little rub at full lock. May or may not be an issue with Skyjacker arms. But anyway, my 88 my intent was to only lift it slightly over stock (still want it to appear stockish but be able to clear 235/75-15 or possibly 31’s without trimming fenders). That’s achievable without drop plates and with stock arms (my choptop had this configuration very briefly before I found a 3” Duff lift). I started building a slightly less beefy version of my extended arms for the 88. I wanted to see how much of an improvement that really makes to a stockish vehicle.

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
On a 90 4+4 ranger front shocks. What is the max length shocks that can be used?

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
Currently running 235/15 on my tires. But the front shocks and springs are shot

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
On a 90 4+4 ranger front shocks. What is the max length shocks that can be used?
Whatever length you need? I don’t remember what the front shocks on my choptop are from, but they were stock for something. I had figured out what I needed for compressed and extended length and had the parts store pull the book out. Did the same thing with my F-150 when I went to 1-ton suspension. Don’t have the suspension finished in my 88 yet, but I’m gonna have to do it again. Ideally you want the shock to have slightly more travel than the suspension in both directions.

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
Yea, I need to get the front to raise back up. Time has made it loose all suspension travel. Bad part is I don’t know what has been done to the front end, as far as lift. But it does have 4 inch blocks on rear suspension. Right now the plan is to completely redo this 90 ranger into my everyday driver , but capable of off-road. Then probably make the 99 ranger into my play hard truck. I built the motor about 12 years ago. Then retired it back years ago. The front end was close to rear height years ago

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@Bear in the woods ,
From the words you have chosen to use to describe the condition of your front suspension, I believe that you have sagging spring not shocks that do not retract.

To confirm my suspicion, remove the front shocks and measure the height; to be 100% clear, I'm not suggesting that you drive your vehicle with the shocks removed, just measure the difference between shocks installed and not installed.

PS, sorry OP, fir some reason I thought this was a thread by Bearinthewoods???

buzz88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, years ago there was a whole big discussion about the suspension geometry and all. Can’t remember where it was, but the bottom line ended up being a strong argument that ride quality and suspension function could be improved on a stock truck by extending the radius arms and it is practically required for a lifted truck if you actually want the suspension to cycle as it should.

A lot of people cheap out on it. It’s understandable. Drop plates and stock arms will work. They just don’t work the greatest. For a mild wheeler they’re acceptable. But there’s a good argument that you’ll be happier with extended arms.

I never completed my experiment that I was working on yet. My choptop I built my own extended arms. Kinda overbuilt them a little and the mounts which tie in with a modified transmission crossmember. My only complaint is that I didn’t manage to get them completely out of the way of the tires, I get a little rub at full lock. May or may not be an issue with Skyjacker arms. But anyway, my 88 my intent was to only lift it slightly over stock (still want it to appear stockish but be able to clear 235/75-15 or possibly 31’s without trimming fenders). That’s achievable without drop plates and with stock arms (my choptop had this configuration very briefly before I found a 3” Duff lift). I started building a slightly less beefy version of my extended arms for the 88. I wanted to see how much of an improvement that really makes to a stockish vehicle.
I’m looking to do the same thing with my stock 87 B2, keeping looking stock but upgrade the suspension, I had the skyjacker 1-5-2 lift on my old 88 b2 and ran 30s, it was great but I don’t think it came with radius arms just springs, shocks and adds leaf, do you recommend radius arms???? Thanks

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’m looking to do the same thing with my stock 87 B2, keeping looking stock but upgrade the suspension, I had the skyjacker 1-5-2 lift on my old 88 b2 and ran 30s, it was great but I don’t think it came with radius arms just springs, shocks and adds leaf, do you recommend radius arms???? Thanks
So, personally I would recommend extended radius arms with any lift. Compression on stock suspension is there, but droop/extension is about zero on a stock suspension. If you set the frame on jackstands and let the suspension sag, you get some, but even after pulling the shocks, you still have to force the beams down to get even a 1-2” lift coil in. When you push it down while it’s hanging free, it still pulls back up on its own. Also, the short factory arms means the suspension travels up and down in an arc. Longer arms don’t do any of that except the arc to the suspension travel and that arc becomes flatter because you’re scribing a larger circle with the longer arms.

Like I said, I haven’t been able to test out how it affects a stock or nearly stock vehicle yet, but the theory is pretty sound. It should help to some degree and it would help a lot off-road. Will the stock arms still work, yeah, but not as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals