• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

sister needs a new laptop.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my sister is looking for a laptop to replace her current dell.

shes told me that she wants a smaller screen to reduce size and weight. shed like a better video card and plenty of ram, with a good battery life as shell be using this for college.

i have a gateway nv52 series with an a6 and a amd radeon 7520g graphics card and i can play skyrim on low. a laptop like this would be great if she could play skyrim on i guess high. atleast medium

im having troubles finding out what video cards are in what laptops.

id like to get her an amd processor to keep down on cost and atleast 4 gigs ram. she wont be using this laptop for gaming so i dont believe she needs a gaming laptop. she printed me out a page with dells on it, i hate dell. but her price range stops at 1 grand, id like to find one for 700-800$.

i have pointed out the alienware m11x but id like to stay away from intel.

so suggestions?

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have 2 Alienwares..... They are junk IMO. They were bought out by Dell and since they are crap.

I have found a liking for Toshiba. I have had this Triple Core AMD, 17.5, 4 Ram, and 500 gig hd, blu ray, for 4 years and have never had an issue think I paid $650 on sale.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I had an HP 14.1" laptop a few years ago with the ATI All in one graphics card, it did great for everything I wanted it to do including videos. You go to small with the screen and the keyboard size will shrink as well and pretty soon you are down to a netbook with a 10.1" screen and hardly any memory in it to run anything but the operating system and 1 program at the same time.

Alienware has always been an over-rated overpriced name. I had an M17 and it was nothing more than an overweight laptop that cost far more than it was worth.

Doesn't matter what brand you buy, the parts in them are all generic most of the time meaning if you buy an HP it may actually have some Toshiba parts, Dell parts, etc in it. Buy what you want with the options you want is all you can really do. I've bought a couple laptops from Tigerdirect and they've been pretty good. My current Acer desktop computer came from Tigerdirect as well. Most big box stores have no clue what they are selling really so its best to do your homework and research before you goto the store.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I will never get another HP, nothing but graphics card problems.

I'm a Lenovo person now. Business computer name, great customer service n

But if you want a computer that can do it all in a small package, ASUS is the way to go. If I had the money, I would get one.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals